or Connect

Posts by Tulkas

Nice how they repeatedly embedded the words "copied" and "infringed" in their post.     I would like this for the print ads:     "While many have have accused Samsung of copying their products over the years, according to the UK courts, they have not copied us. We are so sorry for thinking they did. How could we have been so confused? Not sure what we were thinking" "Not copied at all" Again, so sorry Samsung for thinking you copied. Obviously we...
No, I am talking like someone who realizes that Apple has been doing pretty well for a fair bit of time and also likes to prepay for many of their components to ensure supply. Samsung's tremendous consumer success, especially in mobile has been much more recent and is not nearly as certain. Again, just two years ago they thought it was necessary to start hiding their mobile sales in with their display sales because they were so bad. Having one division count on another,...
Apple has never been one to follow others in a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. With the small tablet market, it is an even more accelerated race to the bottom because they are literally selling them at subsidized prices in hopes that customers will spend enough with the device later to make up the slim margins (or loss) that they made on each sale. But it will definitely be a challenge for Apple to pull this one off with the level of success that they have become...
I think they probably had $300 as the target price during development but just weren't able to hit that price and maintain the lower-end of their preferred margins. I am guessing we'll see it drop by or before gen 2. Or retina first, not sure if they will do both.    I know it hards to compete on price again companies willing to lose money on each device (Fire HD, Kindle 7) but this will be one of the tougher categories for them to enter with those players setting...
It will happen eventually but it is more likely to be Apple's choice than Samsung's. Samsung knows it would be dumb to completely forgo lucrative guaranteed sales from Apple in favour of the supplying their own mobile division. They probably remember that it was only a couple years ago that their mobile sales were so poor they had to hide their numbers in with their display sales. While they rule the Android space for now, that can change in a heart beat. Putting all...
I take it you think that is a cynical view? Wasn't intended to be. Just can't imagine a situation where Jobs would allow a director to film him strolling through a meadow or picking weeds unless he was involved in the process. At the same time, I find it hard to believe that he would commission a video of himself, so I am unsure.
Anyone have any info on the source of that video? Something about it seems like a vanity piece that was commissioned by Jobs. Can't quite put my finger on it, but that's the feeling I got.
And in both of those key businesses they are about to lose their single biggest customer. Can Samsung mobile make up for those orders? Maybe. It was only a couple years ago that Samsung's mobile business was so bad that they stopped reporting on their sales and rolled them into the display numbers (because that made a ton of sense). Getting the Nexus twice has put them far and away at the top of the Android world, but for how long? Can other companies make up for Apple...
I think it is clear that capacity can be purchased and built. Perhaps not overnight and certainly it will cause a disruption for Apple, but how large that disruption will be and for how long is debatable. What isn't a question is that Apple can assist other vendors in increasing their capacity. Samsung's gamble on their internal puchasing needs being able to offset losing Apple is a much bigger gamble. You can guarantee that capacity will eventually be met, you cannot...
yes it was but Samsung Eloctronics that was very clear that they were going to Firewall the lawsuits from their supply business. Guess they've changed their minds.