or Connect

Posts by Tulkas

It is pretty sad that the FCC had to get involved in this. For many years there has been a cross carrier database called the IMEI Database or [C]EIR Registry. Carriers all over the world are member (it is run by the GSM Association AFAIK) and it allows any of them to submit IMEIs of stolen phones and any member carriers are obligated to block those IMEIs from their network. My carrier in Canada is a member but they are dicks about it and will only add IMEIs of phones that...
I see. Actually your other comment was interesting too:This was actually a loophole that was commonly used in Canada to have in contract iPhones unlocked. If you exchanged your phone with Apple, then the carrier lock carried over to the replacement but it was never registered in the carrier system. So, you could then call in and request the unlock. They would trace the IMEI, it would come back without any obligations listed and they would do the unlock. They fairly quickly...
Days? Really? Everyone I've done in Canada has taken maybe an hour and most of that time has been explaining to various departments at the carrier that I want to unlock. Once I get through to the unlocking team it takes about 3 minutes. The carriers have Apple provided and certified system which allow them to submit the IMEIs to Apple's whitelist. I wonder what is different in OZ that it takes them thousands of times longer to make the same DB inserts.
"Beginning Sunday, April 8, we will offer qualifying customers the ability to unlock their AT&T iPhones," the statement reads. "The only requirements are that a customer's account must be in good standing, their device cannot be associated with a current and active term commitment on an AT&T customer account, and they need to have fulfilled their contract term, upgraded under one of our upgrade policies or paid an early termination fee."
AT&T cannot unlock your iPhone. Only the carrier to which it is locked may unlock an iPhone.
It's Rogers, so of course they want to gouge you if they get the chance. They aren't the most hated company in Canada for nothing. At least they will do the unlock. Bell still refuses and Telus still says they want to but that they have 'technical' limitations on unlocking iphones, which is a bold faced lie.
The iTunes restore isn't necessary in most cases. I've had 4 iphones unlocked through Rogers in Canada and after the first I never did the itunes restore. I just popped in a foreign SIM and it worked fine. I think for one of the I had to reboot the phone before it recognized the SIM.
""Jon has fulfilled his commitment and we wish him well, HP spokeswoman Mylene Mangalindan told Arik Hesseldahl of All Things D" Why does that sound the same as someone discussing a prisoner being released at the end of their sentence? I wonder if RIM will court him at all.
Umm, duh, because if you really do want to sell it, that is when it is worth the most. duh.
I didn't ask for examples. Examples don't make facts. You said "Canadians are known to start a business, hoping it gets sold LATER...and RIM/Nortel are prime examples! That IS the reason why they had NO future plans to make the business stay long!" Back it up. The facts might suggest that Canadians are less likely to do so. The fact might say you are right and they are more likely. But without those facts, you are talking out of your ass. Specifically to the former RIM...