or Connect

Posts by Tulkas

And that is exactly what Apple is fixing here; the actual reporting of signal strength. But, in your analogy, if it was not uncommon for some drivers to reproduce a problem where when they pressed the gas not only did the fuel gage show a sudden drop, but the gas tank actually emptied itself. In that case, the fuel gage might be faulty, but there is still no gas in the tank. The iOS might be misreporting the signal strength, but the iPhone 4 design still seems to lead to...
Agreed. I think the exposed antennas result in a more pronounced drop in signal than on earlier versions. This is enough to get the the bars display algorithm to drop to the next level (or two or more, as the lower bars have smaller range). So, while the 3G/3GS may have used the same algorithm, the drop is signal was less and so reflected less of a loss. Of course, the antenna on the 4 is also much better, so it might have enough signal to show 5 bars, where the 3G/3GS...
I think he meant the original decision to ship software that painted a better signal than was actually the case.
It's good to have confirmation from Apple, but it isn't like this isn't exactly what Anand reported. The algorithm for the bars display is weighed to show a better signal than actually existed. The first problem of holding it resulting in the dropping of the number of bars being displayed is mainly a visualization problem..while there is a signal drop, it is not as pronounced as the display indicates. But as Anand also stated, it doesn't change the fact that the actual...
I would disagree. MS is a sales and marketing machine. One of Gates biggest strengths lay in his ability to convince people that they needed what he had to sell, regardless of it not being the best of breed. "If you can't make it good, at least make it look good" -Bill Gates. That is what their DNA is made up of. Some of those products you listed could be considered innovative, but not many. XBox has certainly been successful, but is just another game console. Surface...
Huh? Since when was Ballmer a co-founder? Gates and Allen were the founders. I don't think Ballmer was even in the top 10 first hires. He is a large shareholder and was basically appointed by Gates as his heir. Until Gates sees fit to show him the door, he is pretty secure in his position of being in charge of running MS into the ground. I cannot think of a leader that MS is more deserving of for their years of arrogance. My understanding was that Roz Ho is mostly...
Apple has tons of jobs posted in all R&D areas pretty much all of the time. This really doesn't mean much at all. At the worst, one might read into it that they are continuing to advance their products and so need additional staff to work in those areas. I suppose it might be titillating to imagine Jobs busting down the door, foaming at the mouth and firing every rf engineer in the building. Titillating but not really supported (for now).
Or here's a thought, maybe expect and hope for a fix. duh!No, do you? (what an incredibly stupid post for you to make) iPhone 3G, thanks for asking. When it becomes available in Canada, I will buy the iPhone 4. Liking and wanting an Apple product shouldn't mean blindly accepting or ignoring its faults...that would be ignorant.
Obviously, and the intent wasn't to equate the seriousness of the issues themselves. The response was simply to the post that compared the timing of the companies responses and the consumer reactions that followed.
Then the fact that they have responded, and said there is no problem, might be worrying.