or Connect

Posts by Tulkas

I wonder if opting out of the iAds data collection will also prevent them from collecting the device and location data. The iAds opt out wording doesn't seem to cover the Location-Based Services collection. I trusted Hiro when he said Apple would never collect this type of info. Said it was far to big brother for them to do, with or without consent, and would be a violation of their own privacy policy. Guess he didn't know what he was talking about.
I allowed mine to complete last night. I distinctly remember seeing a status of syncing photos, as I also saw it syncing apps. Hoping a resync will fix it tonight.
Mine are crap too. The thumbnails are super sharp, but the actual pics looks like the pics are loading just before they come into focus....but it stays that way. I will try resyncing (also have 5600 synced). I know the upgrade to iOS 4 resyncs the photos after the upgrade is done, so I am not hopeful this will do anything. Discussions about this are at support.apple.com report this being common (I saw reports with 3G and 3GS). A sync is in fact reported to be the fix.
4) GPS. Mine worked perfectly and then completely died a year ago. I can get a fairly accurate position from Wifi and basic cell tower triangulation, most of the time, but never get the pulsing blue dot of a GPS lock. I say most of the time because it often places me a couple KM away from where I am. When it was new it was dead on, within a few feet usually. It has placed me as far as 20 KM, but usually 1-2KM. I've read that this was fairly common with 3G units but while...
Seems like it.Depending on purchase requirements, how many Americans will cross the border to get an officially unlocked iPhone. Gotta pay full price for the unlocked phones, but this is good news. I wonder if this means that the carriers will also be willing to unlock the phones after contracts expire for us.
Actually, I care about all of the above. The problem is those that are trying to cloak it the high moral veil of privacy, when it is factually about competition. They seem to feel dirty even acknowledging that Apple could have made a move against a competitor and want to mask it as purely a privacy issue. It isn't. As you have shown, you can face and admit to the fact that it is a competitive move and still belief it is justified. Perfectly valid. To pretend it isn't a...
Since up to that point, I had used no language that even implied it was an 'attack' against google, let alone a malicious attack, your paraphrasing was at best dishonest then. I used the phrase after your comments, as it seemed to be the terminology your seemed most comfortable with. hell, I even agreed with your later description of it being a defensive move. The only real point was that it was a competitively driven move. Trying to bog it down in semantic interpretations...
Actually, until my last post, I had never phrased or even implied it was an attack on google. I stated that the ban on google was not based on protecting user data but was competitively driven. I stated that the changes to require user consent and to limit the collected data were for user privacy.When I say 'your words' I meant the ones you were trying so hard to put in my mouth. Since I hadn't written them, they were only 'your words'. Nothing disingenuous about it. If...
For someone on your ignore list, I am in your thoughts an awful lot, Hiro. Do you understand the point of your ignore list?
Actually, that is exactly the point. They are two distinct issues with two distinct sets of reasons. One for privacy (user consent, limited data) and one to take action against google from a competitive stand point. You are trying to muddle the two. Stay on focus. We agree on why they introduced the user consent and limited data (privacy), and on why they banned google (competition). Two distinct issues and reasons. They might have been the catalyst. The don't tend to...