or Connect

Posts by KevinN206

It's more of a translation and emulation rather than "compatibility mode." The systems that allow 32-bit programs to run on 64-bit Windows is called WoW64. It's best explained as:They have to use this method because 32-bit applications require 32-bit libraries, which cannot safely access 64-bit libraries. There's little to no performance loss at all. Any performance loss is not noticeable to the user. Heck, a lot of 32-bit games (quite computationally intensive), run...
While not all Vista versions come with Media Center, the versions that do matter. What versions are available for the home user?Includes Media CenterHome Premium (almost available on every home pc)Ultimate (if you want)No Media CenterBasic (Vista Capable debacle, should have never existed)Business (for business and domain-join capabilities)Not Available for Home UsersEnterprise (not available for retail purchase, only for enterprise contracts)I would say 80-90% (sorry,...
I don't think they can bundle these programs even if they wanted to (at least not without lawsuits and complaints). The release of Office 2007 originally had built-in support for saving to PDF file, but Adobe filed a complaint for anti-competitive behavior, and it was removed before RTM. I had to download the PDF plug-in separately to save as PDF format, while iWork can save PDF file without additional plug-in. Windows Media Player was removed for the EU market, and now...
I realize that all browsers have flaws whether discovered or not. What I am saying is that UAC with Protected Mode in Vista mitigates flaws from IE7,8 from enabling a complete OS take-over. UAC doesn't bother me at all, but that's just me. I get prompted only once during start-up (because a hardware simulation program is not Vista compatible), and anytime I change system settings.
I would argue that Internet Explorer 7 & 8 on Vista is safer than Safari, because IE runs in Protected Mode with the least privileges. It has less permission than a standard user (your account). Any flaw in the browser is not executed automatically, because it'll be stopped by UAC (unless UAC disabled by the user, then you're SOL).You realize that Safari has that RSS feeds flaw that "allows files to be read from a users hard drive"? Or the fact that an exploit in Safari...
Vista and 7 have almost 2GB of drivers within the WIM file, so I wouldn't say it's "limited." With vLite, one can remove a large chunk of drivers from being installed on the hard drive.
I guess it depends on when the installation is defined as completed, but mine took about 25-30 minutes from the point of choosing the DVD as boot-up to a usable desktop (i.e. after the initial system benchmark is performed). And if I remember correctly, it automatically installed all drivers too. Can't really comment on the number of reboots, but it was at least two.I have it installed on the Dell XPS M1330 laptop with a 320GB 5400rpm hard drive.
I once spent over 72 hours with my a team member trying to get our final project done: a complete real-time operating system (RTOS) running with all the tasks scheduled. It was a completed system with semaphores, critical sections, interrupts, etc..written in C for the microprocessor. A GUI was written in Java.
64-bit support was quite sporadic when Vista 64-bit was released. It has since gotten much better. Apple's method certainly made the transition to 64-bit support easier with Tiger and Leopard. However, they were still using 32-bit drivers.It's extremely important that Apple and its hardware vendors update to 64-bit drivers. Otherwise, they might have a problem like Microsoft did with very little 64-bit drivers at launch.
I believe they combined the QuickLaunch (available since Windows 95) into the new taskbar so that the items act as a launcher and windows switching. They had something similar from Windows 1.0. The behaviors of the new Taskbar is different from that of the Dock. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Dock is used to manage applications with Expose used for managing windows. Whereas, the new Taskbar in Windows 7 is still used to launch applications and manage...