or Connect

Posts by KevinN206

I guess it depends on when the installation is defined as completed, but mine took about 25-30 minutes from the point of choosing the DVD as boot-up to a usable desktop (i.e. after the initial system benchmark is performed). And if I remember correctly, it automatically installed all drivers too. Can't really comment on the number of reboots, but it was at least two.I have it installed on the Dell XPS M1330 laptop with a 320GB 5400rpm hard drive.
I once spent over 72 hours with my a team member trying to get our final project done: a complete real-time operating system (RTOS) running with all the tasks scheduled. It was a completed system with semaphores, critical sections, interrupts, etc..written in C for the microprocessor. A GUI was written in Java.
64-bit support was quite sporadic when Vista 64-bit was released. It has since gotten much better. Apple's method certainly made the transition to 64-bit support easier with Tiger and Leopard. However, they were still using 32-bit drivers.It's extremely important that Apple and its hardware vendors update to 64-bit drivers. Otherwise, they might have a problem like Microsoft did with very little 64-bit drivers at launch.
I believe they combined the QuickLaunch (available since Windows 95) into the new taskbar so that the items act as a launcher and windows switching. They had something similar from Windows 1.0. The behaviors of the new Taskbar is different from that of the Dock. Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Dock is used to manage applications with Expose used for managing windows. Whereas, the new Taskbar in Windows 7 is still used to launch applications and manage...
A lot of the foundation was already rewritten with Vista: audio stack, networking stack, video model, drivers in user-land rather than kernel, etc. So in a sense, Windows 7 is a polished and improved version of Vista. Windows 7 main focus now is performance and stability with a few additional features. Because Windows has been fully 64-bit since XP 64-bit, they don't have to focus in this area. Fully 64-bit means a 64-bit kernel that requires 64-bit drivers.Basically,...
Your understanding is correct, but a slight clarification is needed: Windows XP/Vista/7 64-bit can run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications concurrently. But like Snow Leopard when released, all drivers must be 64-bit since the kernel is 64-bit. An important question is whether Apple will have enough 64-bit drivers support from third-party vendors and for its line of hardware. Windows 32-bit can only run 32-bit applications (and 16-bit applications using emulation).