or Connect

Posts by mrstep

Insane if it's true. I just read a nice history of OS/2 that said one of the main problems was that it was marketed as running Windows apps better than Windows - which meant that nobody bothered writing OS/2 apps anymore since they could just write Windows and let users run it on either. Aaaand... Hey look, OS/2 had very few native apps!   So now they're going to try to kill their Metro (or whatever they're calling it) development? What's the upside? Android devices...
 It's unreal what a bunch of whiny wusses people are nowadays about stuff. There's nothing at all inappropriate about speculating whether somebody's background could influence their decisions.  Look up the definition of racism sometime - it's not linked to wondering whether a judge with a particular ancestry could render biased judgements when a trial involves a company from that judges ancestral homeland. Next thing we'll hear is that it's "racist" to wonder if the...
Show me a Retina MBA and I'll upgrade, until then there just hasn't been a compelling reason to replace the (fantastic) 2011 MBA 11 I already have. The updates have been incremental - a 4x screen resolution increase will be huge though. I also have a 2011 Mac Pro with 12 (2x6) cores - and I'm not sure the new Mac Pro will be the killer upgrade over that that I would hope for. Maybe, but it's really not clear. I do like the new form factor, but I also have all of my drive...
 I think that's it myself. They were probably approached and told that they'd have to provide keys to the NSA and have decided to kill the service instead. If no other mention is made by Apple, it's reasonable* to think they were given a secret letter and decided to let the NSA pound sand but can't reveal that. Or maybe it doesn't matter since most of the encryption and OSes are riddled with back doors anyway thanks to the US government, and it will show up with...
I think they realized that cases are an easy way for them to try to shore up their profit margins. Unfortunately these cases are hideous, unlike the bumper cases they had for the 4/4s.   Oh well, this sadly is the post-Jobs era. (And I was hoping for a 'those icons were placeholders' as well... You can hope in one hand and cr*p in the other...)
Wow. I'm curious to see what the second generation of that watch looks like once they have a chance to copy* Apple since this first gen product is pretty hideous.     * Sorry, I mean that whatever Apple ends up doing will be the new "obvious" thing, so then it isn't copying as far as Android/Samsung fanboys are concerned.
  True, but the Mac and next generation devices like the iPhone/iPad are running NeXTSTEP, not MacOS. The Mac of 1994 is long dead. :)
  Yep, and it's pretty safe to bet that these companies weren't asking for retroactive immunity for laws they violated just because they thought it sounded like a cool thing to ask for.
  Really, you're just worried about someone thinking that Apple might be lying? They're probably all lying.   If you look over on Ars, they got responses from a number of these companies. Microsoft's statement is: "We provide customer data only when we receive a legally binding order or subpoena to do so, and never on a voluntary basis. In addition we only ever comply with orders for requests about specific accounts or identifiers. If the government has a broader...
  1) They are probably directed to lie about it under penalty of prison.   2) Saying "We do not provide any government agency with direct access to our servers" is easily stated as a misdirection. OK, maybe you have an automated feed of all of your data that goes directly to other government servers, and those are the ones the government agencies have direct access to.  See, they don't have access to "our servers".   It's not very hard to make that statement technically...