or Connect

Posts by mrstep

So much good news like this in one day (drop in the Verizon phone logs, which are assuredly just the tip of the iceberg there...). As I (and I'm sure plenty of others) have been pointing out for years, Congress doing stuff like pulling in companies to warn them over impinging on the address books / contact lists of their users is such a hypocritical circus. They've authorized total in-depth spying on every one of us already. Maybe they're pissed that they don't have the...
  Bingo - and let's hope that Apple does, particularly given the non-stop beating it has been taking on the market and in the press since it's going to take a toll on sales/growth. The fact that Ive is (apparently) working to bring hardware and software closer together in development is a good sign, anyway.
If his thought is that the phone will hook to a monitor on your desktop and you won't need a 'real' PC... maybe. But the tablet form factor with a larger screen while not sitting at your desk or looking at a TV - well, it's an entirely different thing. Now maybe there will be a slot for sliding your phone into the tablet or into the desktop monitor - and there are probably enough people that could work with the power available from that, particularly in 5 years. So I...
  Yep, the majority of those are totally valid. There are a lot of really terrible UI inconsistencies to boot (Want to share multiple pictures? Well to select them, all you need to do is hit Edit (!?!?), then the arrow button - no wait, here it's a button with a text label 'Share', the share button was in another Apple app...), shake-to-undo is just bizarre, deleting items in lists is totally inconsistent (Here, you swipe to the right... But here you hit 'Edit' because...
  That's what's most disturbing about a comment like "ship with an OS that is nearly a year old" - iOS is 6 months old (more if you count when betas started showing up), and that's also just assuming that Samsung doesn't roll this new phone out with an updated version of Android.  I'm an iOS user and really would like to see updated (and new) features that put the iPhone / iPad ahead, not read FUD statements about how the competition might ship with an OS just a bit older...
Wow, external higher-accuracy GPS receivers paired with phones have been around for years. Wait, "call one PMD and one Accessory - and send that data over BT or Wifi!". BAM, patent! Really?
  Yep. The girl singing to her grandfather, the iPad ad above, and so many more recent ones are just totally unengaging. Samsung's have some humor to them - arguably too little of their product (shown or in any way differentiated), and the end of the ad looks like a Best Buy commercial, but let's face it, I'm a Mac / I'm a PC weren't tech heavy ads, were amusing, and did much more for Apple as a brand than the smarmy pieces that seem to be de-riguer at the moment.   But...
  No doubt. My kids asked me why the smaller car companies got bought by the bigger ones and then generally got messed up and I explained that as a public company, the board generally has to vote 'yes' on being taken over if the takeover price is higher than the current stock price - even if the merger is likely to destroy the company in the mid-to-long term. Hey, vote 'no' and some a-holes set up a class action against you for not taking the money (or in the case of...
    I assumed his comment was tongue-in-cheek since every other bit of good earnings news is treated by Wall St. as evidence that the stock needs to drop... While apparently Amazon is Bizarro Apple?
I had Navigon well before Apple maps, and while Apple's directions work fine in some cases, I really do like that Navigon has the entire maps on the device - MUCH more useful in cases where we're on vacation in areas with spotty cell coverage (Colorado, Wyoming, Montana in the past year, Europe as well - and I certainly don't want to be paying for roaming or a European data plan on AT&T and be chewing it up with maps!). So you don't really have to hate any other mapping...