or Connect

Posts by mrstep

Solid P/E, sales up despite no model refreshes, strong phone and iPad sales, and plans for a dividend... Yep, time to drive down the stock. So what positions (shorts) are being screwed around with prior to the earnings call? Wall St. is just a beautiful thing.
Without commenting on most of this, I'd just say that 'greedy publishers' seems overdone. Do they want to make more? Sure. Do most people want to earn more? Probably. Is what they did illegal? Maybe - guess we'll see if there's a trial. Of course, given that most settlements never even include admission of wrongdoing, maybe we'll never have a solid answer. But if the goal was to keep more retailers in the game to keep prices higher, I'm sure the worry was that if they...
Maybe they can that the $52 million and add it to Wall St. bonuses! You just have to look hard enough to see the good instead of only seeing the bad! Yeah, it's a joke. Trillions down the tubes on invasions and Wall St. bailouts, huge piles of undeclared cash bankrolling crooked politicians, politicians who will actively distance themselves from scientific understanding while advocating theocracy, all communications snooped on globally, every bank transaction monitored,...
Wow, this Microsoft/Nokia partnership is totally delivering so far. I seem to remember comments that this was a guaranteed hit - going so far as to come up with totally wacky sales numbers that basically had all Nokia users rolling over to the Windows devices instead of leaving for iOS/Android. Of course that was coming from 'market analysts' (who are always awesome!) and Windows fanboys, but pointing out that there was no reason to think that users would hang around...
Exactly. Sticking to the wholesale model would have been fine - they DO set the price, just not the market price. Let Apple, Amazon, B&N, etc. fight the rest out themselves. I'm sure the publishers concern was that Amazon would drive everyone else out of business, then come back with 'if you want to sell, it's going to be at $2 a book' (a la iTunes?), and publishers wanted to avoid that. Apple certainly didn't give an agency model deal to music producers.
What you're outlining is different than Apple saying "we'll let you set the price, but if others sell lower we want the right to price lower as well". The publishers deciding to then push Amazon to the same agency model may be an issue, but Apple asking for the right to lower pricing to compete shouldn't have been. Of course, the reality is that Apple wanted an agency model to lure deals, publishers wanted the higher prices, and neither was compatible with Amazon selling...
I'm not sure that Apple saying "we'll offer you this pricing model, but only if you let us price lower if others price lower" qualifies as Apple cutting down on competition. Apple isn't the largest book seller, and the publishers themselves decided to make Amazon change models, which is (you'd think?) their right. If they shoot themselves in the foot doing so, that's their own problem. But the other interesting thing to me is just why publishers would care about setting...
Not in terms of having a private institution in charge of our currency that will simply buy government bonds itself using freshly printed money, so... Nope, doesn't sound like bankruptcy to me. How can you be broke when you have a friend who will print fresh money to buy your bad debt no matter what you do? My favorite line to hear is people saying "The U.S. needs to help with X or Y - it's the richest nation on earth!". Try the most in-debt at this point. Not sure how...
Giving a tractor - it's a fantastic thing to do. Crap, did we forget fuel, parts, technicians, training, and land use practices to go with it? Anyway, my biggest concern here is that iPad supply constraints leave the door wide open for ChromeOS to take over.
For a minute, I thought "how can they be including the gross sales numbers when talking about taxes - taxes are on profits!", but then remembered it's Europe. And then people wonder (and complain) that the same products cost more over there... \ (Ignoring that taxes aren't on profits if you have the right connections and tax shelters, but you know what I mean...)