or Connect

Posts by mrstep

Macall? That's just Amaz'on!
Yep. You can't say "Super Bowl", use team names, and any description of the game is the property of the NFL... I'm amazed that fans can talk about football with each other anymore. But... I guess that's somehow an Apple slam?   If it's a teaser maybe they actually do make fun of Apple elsewhere in the ad, but this clip certainly didn't.
  Are there any actual Java apps being used on the desktop? It's obviously dangerous for the browser, but in every case I've seen it's also sub-par as a native app experience. So while the title may be misleading, it sounds pretty good. ;)   [And no, not if you're doing server development with it, I do understand that not supporting Java would be an issue for those users... Just can't stand it crapping up web pages or 'portable' desktop stuff.]
  I think straight-up iOS and Android has been the challenge for PS Vita and 3DS - I can't picture a world in which someone would go and buy this 'Shield' thing. Vita's justification to me was the physical controls and some exclusive games, and while it's fine, I spend way more time on the iPad with the bigger/sharper screen. :P   (OK, part of my justification was that I figured the Vita is the last hurrah of dedicated handheld gaming, so eventually it will end up next to...
Pop out Airs with Retina displays and I suspect they'll see a very nice sales bump. I know I'd love one, and there's no chance I'm moving from my Air 11 back to a 4.5lb 'Pro' laptop to get one.
  No doubt. It's unfathomable to me how iCloud is better for document handling than Dropbox (or SkyDrive, from the sound of it) for anything I want to actually do. Very irritating to have new documents on Mountain Lion now try to start by pushing stuff into iCloud by default too. WTF? Boom, it just works, just not how I need it to.   Share docs with family / friends / co-workers? How about any of the above that additionally don't have an Apple ID? Oh hell no, that must...
  APT - Anthropogenic Plate Tectonics. You heard it here first! ;)
  Clearly the current maps has a problem finding places when not given a street address, but it's also pretty clear that there are NO buildings anywhere near where that pin is placed.  It's curious to me that people wouldn't check the satellite view before accepting the recommendation from the current version of Apple's maps - I certainly wouldn't, and I'm in the US. If you get the correct destination, it seems to work well, but I've had routes given that were halfway...
  Totally. I remember grabbing the morning paper to see where stock prices closed the day before and having to look through Computer Shopper to find mail-order deals on software and hardware in the pre-Al-Gore's-interweb days. ;)  Nowadays, it's really no comparison.  Product launches, reviews, general news - they're all there immediately, making a paid magazine, particularly one like this that arguably had less depth than many others, a really tough sell.   The price...
  "you know who's economy"? I assume that either means Bill Clinton because of the timeless question of what the meaning "is" is, or George Bush II because he'd probably turn "whose" into "who is" as well and tout not knowing the difference as a unique American strength.   The fundamental problem was that the content was vapid, making it even more difficult for it to succeed in an industry that's going through a paper-to-digital transition where other - often more timely...