or Connect

Posts by mrstep

"Starting with user interactivity, the property calls for a dashboard that holds a plurality of widgets, which can be rearranged and resized depending on content or preference."   Moveable / resizeable windows? Stackable!? Multiple instances of the same app (uh, I mean Widget!) open at the same time? Really!? Widgets that can do different things? And I thought one side-effect of the Oracle-Google Java suit was that APIs can't be patented, so mentioning that there's...
They weren't the first with widgets, and essentially placing them on another virtual desktop (which also existed before) doesn't seem like it would be patentable either. There's protecting legitimate IP and then there's stifling innovation, and the line between them seems to be nonexistent at this point. I generally love my Apple products, but man is the patent system screwed up. (Given that this kind of patent will be granted, it makes sense for Apple to try and grab it...
  I've heard the same from many ex-NeXTers, certainly only found him as willing to spend some time on some Atari-days stories when I had the privilege to chat with him for a few minutes one time in the NeXT days as well, and it always just ticks me off when *(&&@*#^$()*&*!s who didn't ever work for/with him, know him at all, or even meet him, can take the time to just call him an egomaniac and a-hole. So far from the guy I met, doesn't sound like this story or your...
  The Xbox interface is just infuriatingly bad.* I'd much rather stream Pandora/Spotify/iTunes from my iPhone to my AppleTV (or just stream from iTunes match directly to the AppleTV) than have to go through the Xbox.   * "You may already have downloaded this content. Are you sure you want to download it again?" Um, you're the g&*^*^&damned computer, why don't you tell me whether it's already on your disk? Oh, when I say OK then you'll tell me "Hey, looks like you already...
It's _nit_ pick. I'm outside the corporation, so I assume that's what you mean? So did someone buy the computer specifically because the eye picture was in the ads? Just curious, how do you determine damages? For that matter, I find that the eye is sort of scary looking, so maybe that's what kept me from buying the Mac Pro Retina? That could have dissuaded others as well, so maybe he owes Apple damages now... Or maybe he could have just asked them for the going rate for...
You know, if yields of the 13" panel are an issue, maybe an 11" MBA with Retina display might be more doable.  I just point that out to Apple, certainly not because of any self-serving interest or anything. Just trying to help is all. ;)
  Photo Stream - so simple, everyone can't use it.(TM)   Sadly instead of fixing MobileMe, they took the turn into the left field that is iCloud. Want to share files or be able to manage them? Go get Dropbox. Want to actually share pictures? Do it somewhere else as well (haven't found that somewhere else myself yet.)   Is there actually someone who wants to sync all photos across their devices? Or as the alternative - none? WTH? How about a 'publish' option that you can...
  Hey ya!   Why not make it shake left-right for print settings, up-down for general settings, and twist along the different axes to switch apps, call up Siri, and hard-reset the device? Intuitive for everyone!
  I agree that search can't be far behind. (A year or two?) And correctly so. Google decided to bite the hand that was feeding them and it doesn't look like that was a smart move. Apple cutting them out of core functions now that they are competitors, on the other hand, is the best move possible.  Nobody would expect them to integrate Samsung's voice solution or Bing + IE either.    This was Google's call by trying to take over the platform.
  Yep. The people out there complaining that Apple should go back to Google maps need to consider that it was Google that turned themselves into a direct competitor of Apple.   Had they kept doing their ads, maps, social networking, video, docs, etc., I don't think there would have been an issue. By copying iOS and making it the 'free' competitor of Apple's core products, they surely couldn't expect Apple to closely integrate their own product long-term.   The new maps...