or Connect

Posts by mrstep

brucep, not so much - I love my Mac Pro, but thank you bigdaddyp! Feeling much better now!
Sure, but... every Mac Pro thread has to have that complaint, so it's feeling like an unfulfilled thread-promise so far.
It is too bad they didn't do USB 3 / FW 1600 / something exciting beyond what other manufacturers are doing, though given the focus on consumer devices, I guess I'm not shocked. The speed bump side is true, and sadly with AMD offering no real competition to Intel at the moment, that's I guess to be expected. (Ah, lovely P4 with 100MHz bumps... until AMD unleashed Athlon!) It's awful watching speed bumps get smaller and prices climb, but it won't change until somebody can...
I see an unbox video on YouTube, so mindbinder is right... wait, that's a video from May for an older 8-core. Ah well. I just want to know when we'll get a '$5000 is too much for a 12-core Pro machine expandable to 64GB, I could build a Hackintosh with... uh... 6 cores... for way less!'. C'mon people, where are you!?
Exactly. Better components and design will make a difference, definitely with diminishing returns, and at some point it crosses a threshold where it's not worth the difference. People immediately saying 'well, anyone who claims to hear a difference is lying'... well, I think some cases (green marker, frozen outlets, etc.) are placebo effect, but on actual components that actively take part in making the sound, I think it's crazy to write it off. And for people who do,...
I find people saying 'only experts can tell the difference' between 720p and 1080p is either total crap or... well, I guess I do graphics stuff a lot, so maybe I'm in that expert category and maybe it's true. But on the audio side, to give an example, I switched between a 'new' Denon receiver and driving the same pair of speakers through an older Aragon amp (everything else the same, Denon as pre-amp) and my wife commented that the old Aragon sounded much better. If you...
OK, based on that excerpt, we have another victory of lawyers and idiots. If it's for each item sold... WTF? So even if I had a product and said it was covered by every patent in existence, in what way is that harming the consumer? I mean, aside from wasted paper if it's printed in the manual? And if I had 10 expired patents listed on a non-patented item, and if, say, someone else wanted to make something similar, that other person might start with thinking: 'Hmmm, wonder...
If it's per product, that might cover iPhone, iPod, iPad, the Macs, and ATV. So... maybe $4,000 total. Now if they want it per item shipped, that would be even more ludicrous. Oh, and way to go Eastern District of Texas with yet another asinine lawsuit. I assume some judge(s) are making a pretty penny doing these lawsuits or they'd toss them out like the total garbage that they are.
"And I want to work closer with Apple, too. I’m not asking for more access — we can do our jobs with or without it — but again, this is the only way we can survive while being cut out of things. That’s my position on things." I can either get more inside access, or, you know, accidents like this may happen. And I'd hate to see anything happen to your lovely family. Me and my boys just want you to know where we're coming from - it's a dangerous world. Well played....
Yeah, it's actually funny to say 'freedom of the press' when it's a matter of buying stolen property. What's the problem then with Giz just breaking into Apple's campus and taking it - the people have a right to know! Sure, the people are curious, but WTF, this wasn't like he needed to do it to expose that Soylent Green is people or something. I guess it's for the site hits, but damn, really really crappy way to treat other people 'outing' the engineer who lost it for NO...