or Connect

Posts by mrstep

Some are clearly total rip-offs of the trademarked icons, the others seem inspired by the spirit of them (similar color combos, sunflower leaves), though whether those violate the trademark may be a tougher call just because... they're such BAD rip-offs. But the intent is fairly evident across all of them with maybe the exception of the gear for their settings. I think people would have a really tough time mistaking that ugly blue gear for what Apple has, though using a...
    Oh my God - that's SO AWESOME!!!  What's even better is that your iOS knockoff device lets you troll Apple forums!
  If Apple is burning the midnight oil, it isn't doing it trying to figure out how to keep apps based on the infrastructure of their chief competitor in the mobile device OS space on iOS. I'm sure it's no coincidence and they likely do also happen to have contracts that are expiring as well. :)   The good news is that there's probably a fair chance that Google will make more off of Android users than iOS users in the not-too-distant future; the bad news (for Google) is...
Sure, look at how to mimic the competition, then at trial say that it's not copying because that's the logical design anyway. Well then why didn't they come up with it on their own years before Apple got into the phone business? Simple - because they didn't have Apple to copy before the iPhone showed up. It's clearly just copying, no improvement to be seen if they're arguing that those icons and that phone shape was just obvious. But whaaaatever, let the jury make the call.
  Funny indeed! Say, why are you tapping your foot under the stall wall?
  Yeah, maps are one piece, getting people to think of hitting Siri rather than Google is another, and while Siri already uses other sources as well it would certainly have to stop defaulting to 'Do you want to search Google?' as the 'I have no idea what you just asked' query.   But it certainly seems like there's a fair chance things will move that way in the next couple of years. Google really stuck a knife in Apple's back, and I'd be shocked if Apple isn't looking for...
  Exactly. The ads are just incredibly annoying. I've had the stupid 'sponsored links' cover up real results on several occasions making it difficult to tap on real search results. I think I'll be happier with maps that give turn-by-turn directions, look better, and aren't jammed full of ad-spam crap.   Oh, and Google: Steve says thanks for stealing the look and feel of Apple's OS and partnering with companies that have stolen the design of its devices. First mushroom...
It's amazing that people would give their account details to some Russian website/hacker in order to save 99 cents here and there.  Why certainly! And why aren't those users on Android?
  Totally agree.  It wasn't some strange "Well, Jobs chose not to buy them and gave Microsoft the opportunity to screw Apple."  Apple wasn't looking to get into the games business, and as evidence of that: They haven't to the present day.   Microsoft had a very valid reason to buy a studio, particularly when they saw a strong title that they could lock up for the XBox platform. Obviously it was a buzzkill for the Apple community to see the leading Mac game studio suddenly...
  Or one-way ticket to financial security for the developers. If the price was right, it's hard to fault them for taking an offer, and the odds of Apple buying them when they already have Mail.app aren't all that high. Sad to see though.