or Connect

Posts by vandil

I wonder if this will also address the battery issues that even AppleInsider has reported on.   I'm still running 10.7.4, waiting for various bugs to be squashed.  I usually like to run the latest and greatest version of Mac OS X, but there seems to be more that changed/become_more_annoying with ML than things that are welcome, good changes, especially for a non-iCloud user like me.
If Apple phases out optical drives for the rest of their hardware lineup, that will certainly shake up the industry.  Of course people who need optical drives can grab Apple's USB SuperDrive or use one of a wide variety of third-party optical drives for DVD and Blu-Ray read/writing.  It's one heck of a "dongle" to add to a desktop, but it is what it is.   Perhaps Apple will release first-party, user-friendly tools for "converting your DVDs to iTunes" and "converting...
Duh, of course the new dock connector will be rolled out to all products that have the current one, either as they normally refresh, or in the case of the iPod line, as part of a long-awaited refresh.  How is this news?  Also, an adapter to allow accessories to connect to the new, small dock connector will come out as well.  Heck, we already know the adapter probably going to retail for $19-$29.
Thanks for continuing to publicly beta test Mountain Lion for me.  I'm still waiting for all the launch bugs to be solved and workarounds for Apple-omitted/changed features to be posted online.   Strangely, my MacBook seems to be running just fine without those 200+ features installed just yet. :P
This is one of the reasons why I don't use iCloud. Once you trust your data to someone else, and give them remote access to your physical devices, they are not secure any more.   Trust your data and syncing to the only fully secure method: managing it yourself.  It's not that hard to have bookmarks set up on your devices.  It's not hard to pass information between devices.  Moving pictures you just took to a computer is solved by a cord and Image Capture. Oh the...
  1. Local Time Machine backups to a physical individual external disk for both my laptop and my desktop.  My iDevices sync wirelessly with my laptop and backup locally to my laptop.  2. I have an external hard disk connected to my Airport Express, so I can use it as a "shared" volume for anything I need to share between machines. 3. Drop box works decently for things I need to use outside my home. 4. I don't need to share bookmarks and browser tabs between my iPhone,...
I remember a lot of people with PowerPC Macs having a significant slowdown going from Tiger to Leopard.  So much of a slowdown that, for many PowerPC users, Tiger was the "last" version of Mac OS X.  Combine that with Classic support and Tiger was a good, speedy send off for PowerPCs.   I'm guessing machines that had a huge slowdown for Lion should roll back to Snow Leopard and live without iCloud.  iCloud is fun for those that need it and all, and all my Apple...
Honestly, any machine incapable of running Mountain Lion is probably better off with Snow Leopard.  Snow Leopard was one mean, lean version of Mac OS X, and the last vestige of PowerPC app access.     Lion changed a lot of things and people just had to slug through it and learn.  Hopefully Mountain Lion will ease some of Lion's pain the way Snow Leopard did for Leopard, but if you can't run Mountain Lion and haven't upgraded to Lion yet, I say stay on Snow Leopard...
Safari was released onto Windows because iOS (then iPhone OS) was only going to have mobile apps in the form of Web Apps.  What better Windows-based SDK than the browser itself?  Then Apple allowed people to create real apps and the Safari for Windows lost a good reason to exist.
  In Mountain Lion, rather.    Also, can anyone confirm if Mountain Lion forces the installation of the Airport 6.0 manager?