or Connect

Posts by Winter

I remember reading that Steve Jobs did not want to rely on AMD and nVidia for better graphics performance. I forget where I read it.
I agree. I love the strides Intel is making and glad that Apple pushed them to that level. I hope Intel keeps making these strides and never stops as long as it possible so that nVidia and AMD only are ahead of the pack with hardcore gamer notebooks.
I am not surprised in the slightest about this and am glad it happened. Apple had the chance to fix this problem before it reached this point and they didn't so now a judge will force them to.
That makes me beyond stoked. I can have everything I want. People will no longer be able to snicker and say you can't game on a Mac because you will most certainly can. And thanks to Apple for lighting a fire under Intel for doing so.
What I think Intel is doing with Iris and Iris Pro is really remarkable because it's allows Apple to longer have to require a need for the lower discrete graphics cards. Integrated graphics are no way going to compete with say the 770M, but as we're seeing with the retina MBP there is not a huge gap between that and the 750M at least to my knowledge.
Yeah I'm sure by the time I buy a new mini, the information will be out about the SSDs used in them. As for the possibility of a 2015 mini, we have to wait for the Broadwell U processors to be released first along with Iris 6100. In 2016, we have to figure out whether they will get either a Broadwell refresh (if one happens like there did with Haswell) or it goes to Skylake. By those points we will be on Iris 7100 (if it continues) and then OS X 10.11 or 10.12
Okay so the difference between the Sandisk and Samsung PCIe SSDs are not nearly as vast as Toshiba vs. Samsung a few years back? That's fine then. I'm still planning to get a new mini at some point next year.
You have to play the component lottery again? Ugh, that I hate about Apple.Could it be though that the higher capacity SSDs are from Samsung and the others the lower ones from Samdisk?
They might have offered a 37W quad core chip but I guess they didn't want to offer Intel HD 4600 only Iris Pro to not confuse people with Intel's numbering system of Intel HD 5000, Iris 5100, and Iris Pro 5200.
I have the Samsung 470 which is a SATA II SSD despite the fact that the 2011 Mac mini has a SATA III interface and I can tell you I would never ever go back to HDDs.