or Connect

Posts by Winter

Did you get 16 GB of RAM? If you didn't, you should have.
Once Apple announced a new Mac mini last October, it sort of satisfied my hunger temporarily. Of course my interest peaked up once again when the new 13" rMBP came out because you have faster memory, faster PCIe SSDs, and faster integrated graphics.
Yep it's Winter with yet another Mac mini thread. Let me first say that I am planning to buy a 2014 Mac mini towards the end of the year if they do not release a Broadwell version. After four years, it is time to move on from Sandy Bridge and Mac OS X Lion which has served me well. Now here's the thing, I wonder if Apple will even release a Broadwell version, wait until Skylake, or possibly move on altogether. Here's my situation. I need 16 GB of RAM and (at least) a 256...
I remember reading that Steve Jobs did not want to rely on AMD and nVidia for better graphics performance. I forget where I read it.
I agree. I love the strides Intel is making and glad that Apple pushed them to that level. I hope Intel keeps making these strides and never stops as long as it possible so that nVidia and AMD only are ahead of the pack with hardcore gamer notebooks.
I am not surprised in the slightest about this and am glad it happened. Apple had the chance to fix this problem before it reached this point and they didn't so now a judge will force them to.
That makes me beyond stoked. I can have everything I want. People will no longer be able to snicker and say you can't game on a Mac because you will most certainly can. And thanks to Apple for lighting a fire under Intel for doing so.
What I think Intel is doing with Iris and Iris Pro is really remarkable because it's allows Apple to longer have to require a need for the lower discrete graphics cards. Integrated graphics are no way going to compete with say the 770M, but as we're seeing with the retina MBP there is not a huge gap between that and the 750M at least to my knowledge.
Yeah I'm sure by the time I buy a new mini, the information will be out about the SSDs used in them. As for the possibility of a 2015 mini, we have to wait for the Broadwell U processors to be released first along with Iris 6100. In 2016, we have to figure out whether they will get either a Broadwell refresh (if one happens like there did with Haswell) or it goes to Skylake. By those points we will be on Iris 7100 (if it continues) and then OS X 10.11 or 10.12
Okay so the difference between the Sandisk and Samsung PCIe SSDs are not nearly as vast as Toshiba vs. Samsung a few years back? That's fine then. I'm still planning to get a new mini at some point next year.