or Connect

Posts by Brometheus

Who knows? I'm not sure. I'm just not as upset about the bailout as you are, based on my understanding of the situation. Unfortunately, human nature never changes. There will always be economic bubbles that eventually burst, there will always be greed, there will always be petty politics, and a bunch of forces beyond our control and beyond our awareness. So you're probably right. The next economic crisis may bring badness on a massive scale.
Interesting analogy, and I understand your point. Good intentions are often shortsighted and hurt in the long run. I agree that some of the companies that were propped up should have gone under. In an ideal capitalist system, perhaps market forces would have made their demise happen naturally. However, our world is truly complicated today. The idealized capitalist system in which market forces allow us to adjust to change and promote survival of those who are weaker is...
Okay, I see how you're using the word "niche". I thought that you meant that only a small segment of people would find an iPad useful. You're saying that it will not replace a computer in most situations. I agree. As much as I know I will love my iPad, there's no way it can replace my iMac. So the iPad will be a product that works best in the context of being coupled with a computer; however, I think that iPad-like devices tablets will be used in many computer using...
They're targeting the most promising and most serious developers. Return on investment is critical in this situation. These VC guys are not going to fund tiny companies or single developers with apps that look like the latest Tetris knockoff. Sadly this also means that I will never get any funding, so my idea of an app for City of Heroes players will never see the light of day
I agree with your summary of the difference between VC funds and other types of financial services. I also agree with your explanation of the key role of these companies in providing funding options to companies that otherwise may remain only an idea in the mind of a socially awkward, but brilliant innovator. However, I disagree with the idea that the government gave out bailout money like candy with no useful objective that benefited the country. I don't want to get...
I think that you may have misunderstood the point that Woz was making. He was not supporting the notion that the iPad will be a niche product, which appears to be your conclusion. He was supporting the idea that the iPad will open up computing to people who could benefit from computers, but are intimidated by them. My feeling is that the potential market is huge. You will certainly have iPad users who are geeky types like me (and possibly you), but you will have other...
All financial service companies are not the same. This type of investment appears to have little in common with complex derivatives that nobody quite understands. The role of this venture capital company in supporting app development is rather straightforward. If you want to be critical then I suppose that you could find some similarity between this type of investment and the tech bubble that burst in the late 90's early 2000's. Back then venture capitalists were...
The support system will be ready. As an iPhone owner, and based on what I know about the iPad, I have a feeling that I could provide support at the Genius bar with a couple of hours training. This is not the same thing as moving (jumping actually) from Tiger to Snow Leopard.
I agree on all points. It's interesting that I'm looking forward to my iPad with the same sense of anticipation that I looked forward to getting my Palm III so many years ago. Times sure have changed.\
SJ has done wonders with Apple; brought it back from the brink. That requires a special combination of vision, charisma, leadership, and ruthlessness. Palm is now approaching the brink. I wonder what he would do to rescue Palm. I think Apple had more going for it when SJ returned and there was no Apple equivalent as a competitor. Is Palm too far gone?