or Connect

Posts by Mr. H

AAC is not Apple's "codex" (the word is "codec" by the way).Both ALAC and FLAC can have metadata embedded. It is WAV that does not support metadata and that's one of the reasons why AIFF is a superior file format to WAV despite both using the same method/encoding to represent the audio data.ALAC and FLAC are both lossless so achieve exactly the same audio quality. ALAC has also been open-sourced by Apple. Determining which is better than the other requires close attention...
You're right. Digital is better in every conceivable way. Except that some people who don't understand it convince themselves that it must be worse than vinyl and go on to perform poorly or not-at-all controlled comparisons which - surprise, surprise - reinforce their original viewpoint.This.This can quite often be the cause of vinyl sounding better - whilst it is worse in every way as a medium compared to CD (dynamic range, frequency response, wow & flutter, distortion)...
No, they invented a method to quickly detect phone numbers in plain text documents, at the same time as being able to detect and differentiate between many other forms of information in the same document.You shouldn't be able to patent the right to detect a phone number. You should be able to patent the method used for detecting the phone number. If Apple have managed essentially to patent all feasible methods for doing this quickly, then good on them.
No, it is not "basically a hyperlink". A hyperlink contains HTML code that identifies itself using tags. Data detectors can detect web links, phone numbers, contact information, meeting details, when they appear in plain-text documents. This is absolutely not trivial. Like I said, if you think it's trivial, let's see your code for doing it.How does the application know that the sequence of numbers is a phone number?How does the application know that the sequence of text is...
Your examples are erroneous. The clever part of Apple's data detectors is how it finds information to turn into contextually-relevant clicks, when said information appears in plain-text form. If you don't think that's clever, then let's see your code for doing the same thing.
It's unlikely that a feature such as this would sway a buying decision by itself. But if the OS has several useful minor features such as this? Well, it's a cumulative affect that could make one OS substantially more usable/helpful compared to another.
This article does not seem to understand the difference between "an idea" and what is actually patentable ("a method"). In this case, the "idea" is: automatically detect things like web links, phone numbers, dates and times and other details for meetings, contact details etc. when they appear in a plain text document, and then provide intelligent links that do helpful, contextually relevant actions when clicked. This idea is not patentable. Note that the idea does not...
I think that iOS 7 handles dying batteries (i.e. ones that are nearing the end of their service life, not ones that are merely in a low-charge state) poorly. I had exactly the same symptoms as you with an iPhone 4 running iOS 7. Battery life hadn't been great so I'd been thinking of replacing the battery, but then all this really weird behaviour started and it became a much higher priority. Bought a "new" battery from eBay and popped that in - all the stupid symptoms are...
This.I do though think it's silly of the US authorities not to allow companies to state the exact number of requests. No other country seems to have a problem with doing that. What exactly do the US authorities gain by not having the exact number released?
Not really. The Jot Touch has an intriguing solution, but it isn't a fine nib like the Script. The part of the Jot Touch that actually touches the iPad screen is a fairly large plastic disc, but this is transparent so you can more easily see where the centre of the stylus is going. It's very clever but from viewing a few video reviews on YouTube it does seem to create some problems.