or Connect

Posts by anakin1992

[quote]Originally posted by AirSluf: No OS re-write required to use a 970. The 970 will run existing 32-bit software just fine with no speed penalty according to IBM press and last fall's presentation. The OS would need to be recompiled and somewhat tweaked to enable it to use the full 64-bit capability and run 64-bit compiled apps, but that should not be a traumatic undertaking. OS X's hardware abstraction happens quite low in the code base and is handled...
[quote]Originally posted by Telomar: I agree with Intel on this one there really isn't much need for 64 bit computing at least in the desktop market and the market isn't that huge. This article does seem to suggest if they can't go 64 bit with an Itanium based architecture they don't want to go though. The people these desktop 64 bit chips would most effect in my opinion would be Sun and SGI and their 64 bit workstations. Both companies have systems with...
[quote]Originally posted by reynard: Novice question: Will the 970, 64 bit chip speed up OSX? (Not that it is sluggish on the newer Power Macs, I hear.) But does OSX have an affinity for a 64 bit processor? More so than a modified Windows XP would for AMDs 64 bitter? In any case, it will help gain Apple much needed attention. Just as OSX is maturing. Could be a great synergy. State of the art chip and operating system.
64-bit chip could...
[quote]Originally posted by Programmer: I'm a big fan of saying that most users won't need 64-bit applications, but that's very different than saying that Apple won't benefit from having a 64-bit solution. [snipped...].
well said indeed. what a world we are living in. when industry moved from 16-bit to 32-bit, noise was that we don't need it while others said if we could have it why not? i bet steve j. loves this 64-bit transition and he...
[quote]Originally posted by Producer: Perhaps they could also just liscence the OS and have local makers make the computer hardware. Ofcourse they would only be allowed to sell the computers locally so they would not compete with Apples other markets.
selling local mac to local in china is the only way for apple to get into china's market. now, apple has to sell a same module of powermac for twice price you and i pay here because of...
[quote]Originally posted by blabla: Agree. The powermac sales are way down. From around 220 K units/Q to 168 K units last Q. Apple has never sold fewer Powermacs. If the trend continues, Apple is going to lose just about all its pro-customers.
even though apple saleman in apple store kept showing how cool the new powermac was, no single one in the crowd bought one over 3 hours i spent there. also even those sales are not that high on...
[quote]Originally posted by badtz: ........honestly, i thought the new PM was better in person, but still ugly
it is very elegant design if you could see it and open it and look inside out. dual 1.25 is more noiser that the other two. i have to push hard to close it on my g4 450 enclosure. but on the new power mac, it is just a tiny finger tip push.
[quote]Originally posted by BrDoc: I used several of the new PMs at the apple store yesterday, and they were rather quiet. I put my ear up to the intake holes ( sounds like a car) on the front and it was still quiet. Man did that thing pump out the heat on the back!!!!
there are 4 fans inside of new pm: 2 for power block; one big fan for cpu heatsink cooling; one attached to backplane of mobo. 867 and 1 ghz models are much quiter than...
[quote]Originally posted by Banjo Billy: same....still being reviewed here too...i orderd in the morning of the 13th...i want it now!
some one already got it somehow and here is the initial test on dual 1ghz box with the old dual 1 ghz. http://www.barefeats.com/pmddr.html anyway, i will hold my purse now to see what it will be like.
[quote]Originally posted by RazzFazz: No, because (well, according to Intel's website at least) there simply is no 1.5GHz P3 Xeon. Actually, unless their website is wrong, the P3 Xeon only reached 1GHz, and the fastest P3 core was the server tualatin at 1.4GHz. Everything beyond that clock rate is based on the P4 core. Bye, RazzFazz
i don't know exactly the state of xeon p3. if the top line is 1ghz, then do a comparision between a...