or Connect

Posts by smalM

The heck with the 9800 XT ! Where is the 9600 Pro for the rest of us (for me!) ?
What PCI-Express is really meant for is to replace AGP. AGP 8x doubled the bandwidth to 2 GB/s to achieve a meagre 5% more peformance. With 128MB+ VRAM the cards don't require that bandwidth. What is needed is a faster bus. The bus at 66MHz is a bottle neck for fast graphic cards today. So the question is not "will it come?" the only question is "when will it come?"
The 970FX runs with 1V at 2GHZ. It reaches 12.3W at 1.4GHz either because the voltage is reduced to 0.85V or because parts of the execution units are shut off. And we don't know whether it needs higher voltages to run higher speeds as 2GHz. So I think your table is interesting but the data basis is weak
A 90nm process on a 300mm wafer that has cost a mountain of money?
Good objection. All I've seen is a label. And nowhere a marketing blurb how advanced the IBM contoller is. So I think you're right and they use the Xserve chip.
It seems the 970fx runs on 0.85V at this speed. So the question is how fast can it go without raising the voltage back to 1V.IBM uses its own system controller which might top out at 550MHz bus speed (assuming the usual DDR bus speed doubling). Some time ago I read Apples system controller could do 650MHz (maybe be at mosr ) which would fit very nicely with a 2600MHz 970fx...
That's exactly what I wish Apple would do. But don't you think they had done it already if they thought they could make money with such a product line? Now the 970 will catch up with the fastest P4 in a few days - perhaps this will change Apples mind...
A G5 is like Prozak. Look what it did with the mind of LBB. One G5 and he's writing marketing lyrics for Apple
This applies to 1GB DIMMs. 512MB sticks are now produced with up to 2022 timing.