or Connect

Posts by smalM

AirSluf, I really don’t get it. In a 2GHz G5 the FSB runs at 500MHz which is a quarter of 2GHz so it's a bus ratio of 4:1. Anything else doesn't matter. Not that the bus is double pumped and not that there is one way out and one way in. And thanks a lot for your advice!
That's easy: Even the crippled IIsi was as expensive as a DP 2GHz G5 is today.
In a 2GHz G5 the FSB runs at 500MHz - there's one channel for read and one for write only for each cpu. It is double pumped, so it's called 1GHz. As with all DDR (or QDR as in the P4) buses doubling the speed declaration is a marketing trick. DDR does not virtually double the speed of a bus - it would be better to say it virtually doubles the width of a bus. Read the article about SDR and DDR at ars technica "understanding bandwidth and latency".
The economical consideratoins of his post become not untrue by that. Back to iMac Future: Put a 970FX @ 2GHz and an ATI 9600 AiW in it and everything would be fine. The specs would justify the price and it would be a real All-in-One. But I think the next iMac will be a complete new maschine. As the G5 a more "industrial" design but still cute for a high WAF
There is a difference: 2* 1GB DIMMs will make a bigger hole in your wallet OS X IS faster with 1GB than with 512MB. But normally it's not a big difference. Some applications like Photoshop see a real boost with more memory - let's talk about 4GB If your Rev. B has 8 memory slots buy 2*512MB. If it has only 4 slots buy 2*512MB as well.
The bus ratio in a G5 is 4:1 at the moment. The 970 can handle 2:1, 3:1, 4:1 and 6:1. So you might see a 3GHz upgrade some day from Sonnet that uses the 6:1 bus ratio. Expect prices to be unsane Or perhaps the 970FX and its successors can handle more/other bus ratios.
I hope we are through with all those who think about prices far off reallity! Where the heck do they get these ideas from? Would you please read Amorphs post about costs and prices? Thank you!
VIA just announced the Eden ESP 10000. 7W Thermal Design Power.1GHz And don't think this CPU to be as fast as a G4 @ 1GHz! The Moto bashing on this site has kept some people from seeing what Moto really did with the G4: Reduce power consumption. Point no. 1 on the wish list of their big customers. Yes, Apple is not a big customer to Moto. BTW, ever looked under a G5 mother board? The system controller gets massive cooling! I don't think we see a G5 PB before the...
If you read the MOSR article carefully you might find that the 12" model (133MHz bus) will run up to 1.53GHz while the 15" & 17" models (167MHz bus) will only reach 1.33GHz
The heck with the 9800 XT ! Where is the 9600 Pro for the rest of us (for me!) ?