or Connect

Posts by Macky the Macky

Wait! Wait! I thought you were talking about Microsoft Office for a while there....
At one time enterprise used Quark or Pagemaker for complicated documents and Word for simple docs. The former got ridiculously expensive and more omplicated to use, while Word got more of the DTP features and wasn't that expensive for large-scale purchases. Now, however, iWorks is free with iDevices, doesn't require an annual subscription cost, is optimized for touch devices, can be handled easily with large-scale free upgrades, and while simpler to use due to lack of many...
It's simply not there. A Table of Contents is one of the most asked for feature for Pages. Without it, the application is neutered as a solid replacement to MS Office in higher education.
The updates ARE awesome and coming faster then before they ripped the shit out of the applications ... HOWEVER, have they really got the applications back to what they could do before they neutered??? Let's see that happen, and then I'll cheer...In addition, while the apps don't need to do everything MS Office can do, they still are missing a few key features that hobble them for use in higher education and for some broad aspects of enterprise use. MS Office is too...
When I read the story, my first thought was that Apple has some changes they want to make but don't want to let the changes get out of their hands by farming it out to an outside vendor... This way Apple can incorporate differentiating technology into the drivers and keep it under wraps until they ship it, and make it harder to knock off/reverse engineer.
A court of law, in front of the most clueless and uninformed people the lawyers will allow to hear the case, can come up with a verdict that will defy common sense and the laws of gravity. This is why attorneys with a weak case love to sue in the hinterlands of Texas.
I am totally familiar with this early history (except the part played by Corvus). The Apple ][ was the first affordable computer and VisiCalc made it a powerful number cruncher in its day. If Digital Research had gotten a 16-bit version of CP/M out about a year earlier (and not had an anal retentive lawyer), Microsoft would have been bypassed for DOS when IBM went shopping and the story of computing in the 1980s would have been totally different.I wonder how many people...
He deserves everything his pointy little head worked so hard to earn. As a wise man one observed, "It's not what you put in your mouth that corrupts you, it's what comes out of your mouth..."
It was more then implementation that was way off."Microsoft has no taste." — Steve JobsIf Microsoft made a table computer it would have battery-burning multi-tasking, run full windows and require a fan, be too big to fit on one's lap, Be so heavy the user would use it on a table, and ... oh wait!
When it comes to seeing a market disrupter at work, John Dvorak can only see the tried and tired old way of doing things... That's why he's so good at seeing where Microsoft is slowly chugging away at things... The Apple train had left the station 14 years ago, Dvorak, Gates, and Ballmer were left behind and totally clueless that a way of doing things has changed...even while still waiting at the station after the rails and ties were ripped up as they stood there, ticket...