or Connect

Posts by rufwork

Normally Dilger's bias bothers me in his AI articles.  They often feel more like homerism than journalism (though I'm finding him to be a great podcast guest), and it's hard to dig out the useful new information.   This time, I was relieved to see the byline.  It's become the new media-herd position to say Samsung's up and Apple's down.  There's probably some truth to the herd's inspiration -- Apple's level of growth was too meteoric to sustain forever, and Samsung...
And if the MacMall leak is any indication, the 13" MBP with Retina display is (indeed) going to go up a few bucks, from 1580.70 to 1597.99.
Well, the interesting thing is that this connector has an EPROM. I wonder if it isn't going to update every so often when it's on the net... So if you've got an unauthorized and imperfect clone, it might stop working on you at some point. Kind of like how Blu-ray is supposed to have codes so that if a machine is hacked, you can release future Blu-rays that are no longer compatible with that model. Otherwise, why the trouble, you know?
  Pretty sure you don't get AM because of how big the antenna would be, plus the fact that AM tends to be especially directional.  It's hard to get Apple-quality AM into something that small.  Even a dedicated portable radio often has trouble.  I feel your pain, though.  I'm going to an NFL game tomorrow, and would like to listen to the live radio broadcast on, you guessed it, AM.   The nano is a great pure iPod.  I enjoy having one for the car for podcasting and...
  This glut of errors is exactly why they need to prioritize and fix the high visibility errors first.     if ("Columbia, SC" == strSearch) then      location.lat = 34°00′2″N       location.lon = 81°02′39″W end if   If you've worked on software, you know sometimes imperfect fixes NOW are a heck of a lot better than waiting on perfection.  That doesn't take months.  Check that link I included above where Dilger talks about print advertisements that slam points Maps can't...
  I just tested it on an iPhone 5 in the Apple Store this weekend.  Maps even "autocompleted" my typing "Columbia" with the option for a red pin next to "Columbia, SC".  Guess where that sends you?  (In case that's not clear, it goes to South America.)         "Columbia, SC" should send you to Columbia, South Carolina.  It's a well-known bug at this point.  Apple should fix it.  Apple should have fixed it weeks ago.  It's server-side info, so it's an easy fix to...
  It's not if it has bugs.  It's how quickly those are fixed.  That a cloud-based service's client app still shows Columbia, SC in Columbia, South America is ludicrous.   Hard code the hotspots if you have to, but fix it *now*.
You know, I never noticed names of authors on AI until Dilger came along.  Then I noticed there were lots of posts that, surprise, sounded like that RoughlyDrafted guy.  Guess what?   I don't really read AI like I would, say, The New Yorker.  But you know, touche to you or whatever.  ;)       Oh, touche for you too, I guess.  See, here's the deal: I don't really care who the author is unless the stuff is operatively different from what I expect.  You don't have to read...
Dude, calm down.  Step 1: Check my post count and joined date.  Hardly my first rodeo.   I'd hope the digressions are intuitively obvious, but the first starts here:     His characterization of Java VMs is a little spotty, but I'll (mostly) let that go.  "Novel use of AJAX"?  You mean the one that changed the web into a real platform like Sun could only wish Java had?    More importantly: On AI, who really cares?  Reduce your writing to what's needed.  Simplify,...
  Ditto.  It's painful how quickly you can tell Dilger wrote the articles he's written here, and I don't mean that in a good way.  A little too fanboy-ish, often with spotty logic, and almost always with at least two healthy digressions that are barely worth skimming over.   The only interesting tidbit here is that losing iPhone users could put a kink in Google's ability to provide live traffic data, but even that's not described well.  It's like Change Bank; how are they...