or Connect

Posts by rufwork

Unless it's this.  We're told Jobs was on top of several years' worth of new products, at least in general, yet the small iPad is still just something he's essentially upgraded to "not 100% against".   At some point, it stops being Jobs' company.  I think we're close.  Nothing inherently wrong with that.
Apple has notably pitted its frenemies against each other, such as in partnering with Google to develop and popularize the WebKit browser   I'm not sure that's accurate.  I'd never heard of a "partnership", and couldn't Google it up quickly or see it on the Wikipedia entries for Chrome or WebKit.  Doesn't mean it's wrong, but I think it is [wrong].   Open Source projects don't necessarily require partnership.  That's their beauty.  It's a passive partnership...
Oh right, prepping Excel file contents for export to an RDBMS using a process where some business logic is involved is useless.   Look, they're just different tools.  There's nothing wrong with having good, potentially overlapping tools.  vba makes Office more useful for many of us -- I can do whatever I want inside of a spreadsheet with tools I already know inside and out pretty quickly without being an Excel power user.   And gosh, please heavens, don't even stick me...
  Exactly.  Dan Knight at Low End Mac has a great article showing the history of Office releases (and the release of its precursors) on the Mac here: http://lowendmac.com/musings/12mm/office-2013-panic.html    
In my best Admiral Stockdale voice:   This sure makes copyleft look like a smart idea.
    But they make Android handsets, kk?   The reason they're out of Brazil first is the same reason why Apple was in Brazil last -- you have to have a Brazilian factory to avoid the tariffs.  Your sales can't just be good, they have to be enough to support a factory to stay in that market.
Well, the hard drive probably is upgradeable, though not easily.  The Airs have upgradeable HD, just not RAM.
The RAM isn't user upgradeable, is it?
  I think that's the bottom line.  That was Jobs' point, I think, in the quote I posted earlier.  The jobs are gone because factories (that happen to be in China) are simply better at creating these devices now.  If you could do as high quality work in the US, you'd certainly save on shipping, so we already know we can't get the same quality at (cost of China mfg + shipping) here in the US.  I'm suspicious we can get the quality at all from current factories.   It's...
Didn't Jobs address this a little more directly, saying the time for the US to manufacture this stuff "has passed" or something similar, and that China's just too good at making quality stuff?   Here we go: http://www.catholic.org/technology/story.php?id=44500     I greatly prefer Jobs' direct, no pipe dream assessment.