or Connect

Posts by rufwork

In my best Admiral Stockdale voice:   This sure makes copyleft look like a smart idea.
    But they make Android handsets, kk?   The reason they're out of Brazil first is the same reason why Apple was in Brazil last -- you have to have a Brazilian factory to avoid the tariffs.  Your sales can't just be good, they have to be enough to support a factory to stay in that market.
Well, the hard drive probably is upgradeable, though not easily.  The Airs have upgradeable HD, just not RAM.
The RAM isn't user upgradeable, is it?
  I think that's the bottom line.  That was Jobs' point, I think, in the quote I posted earlier.  The jobs are gone because factories (that happen to be in China) are simply better at creating these devices now.  If you could do as high quality work in the US, you'd certainly save on shipping, so we already know we can't get the same quality at (cost of China mfg + shipping) here in the US.  I'm suspicious we can get the quality at all from current factories.   It's...
Didn't Jobs address this a little more directly, saying the time for the US to manufacture this stuff "has passed" or something similar, and that China's just too good at making quality stuff?   Here we go: http://www.catholic.org/technology/story.php?id=44500     I greatly prefer Jobs' direct, no pipe dream assessment.
  Didn't you just shoot down your own claim?  I mean, sure, 4G is hardware, sorta, but...  I'm guessing checking signals too -- sounds like it might just be 4G.
        I think the deal is that if you go directly to the albums (or search for, say, "Thin Lizzy"), it's not censored.   Type "Jailbreak" into the search box (note that what you typed was never censored, EWT, just the auto-complete suggestions), and those same track names are now censored.   You have to explicitly search for jailbreak for things with jailbreak in the title to be censored.    That's why I'm still saying the most interesting take home is that this shows...
  Here, Apple is abusing their monopoly power in online music by censoring valid, non-offensive song track titles!  Down with Apple!  Sue!   (We kid because we love.  Honestly, this is most interesting from a programming standpoint -- obviously they have a system-wide method for removing a list of key objectionable words, and now jailbreak is up there with ****, ****, *************, etc )
  There is, unfortunately, already plenty of beer being consumed on Amtrak.  It's like riding the bus, but quicker, with more space for your legs and drunks making up loud stories about how the met Jon Bon Jovi while you're trying to sleep. ;^)