or Connect

Posts by Crowley

^ I think force may be a strong word, but the EU, and/or EU states have certainly strongly encouraged some mergers, and used what political leverage they have to push them.  Dailymotion and Orange was one I was reading about recently, which was a merger encouraged for protectionist (or local interest, depending on which way you see it) reasons within France.
^ Getting lithium out of its raw states can be a pretty environmentally unfriendly process, mainly (with the brine process) in the amount of water it consumes and rarely puts back into the ecosystem.  But that can be remedied with good management, and once the lithium is out it's very recyclable.  Seeing obstacles and insta-decrying the proposition is lacking imagination.  
^ Ireland made a tax deal that it wasn't really allowed to make in order to encourage manufacturing jobs into the country, which Apple then leveraged to bleed into Ireland intellectual property revenues that should logically have gone to the USA, and corporation tax that should have gone to local Apple subsidiaries across Europe and other parts of the world.  From that they were able to pay almost no tax on a large part of their worldwide operations.  Of course that's a...
What opinion have you expressed that I have not responded to?  You think that companies should re-invest more of their accumulated capital as a rule.  I broadly agree, certainly in preference to money hoarding, but I think that returning capital to shareholders may also be worthwhile because shareholders are consumers, and pension funds, and endowed charities, and other institutions that are also likely (not universally, that's what context is for) to use money that is...
Are you claiming that no one was lowly paid before food stamps were introduced? You do realise that people in poverty don't have the luxury of turning up their nose at a job because "it doesn't pay enough", right?
I don't agree, but since you seem to have stopped saying anything, I'd say we're at an impasse.  You, with absolutist principles (with acknowledged potentiality for not being wholly true that apparently isn't relevant), or me, with a flexible approach based on multiple avenues for investment and no specific judgement either way.  Sorry, but I prefer my way.  And I don't see that I insulted you any more than you patronised me.   Toodles.
^ Black and gold would look like Apple were sponsoring the New Orleans Saints.
"respected audio publications" sounds like you're making shit up.  Why not say which publications?
What is scold worthy about China's treatment of gays then? As far as I can tell* there is a social stigma (as there to some degree is pretty much everywhere), but no government oppression.  They don't have legal recognition of gay marriage, but then, neither does the US in its entirety. What point do you expect Tim Cook to be making, to avert this apparently heinous hypocrisy?   * this is good: http://www.chinalawblog.com/2013/07/homosexuality-in-china.html
 Do you guys even think about doing any research into your broad claims? HP were in Greenpeace's good books in 2011: http://www.environmentalleader.com/2011/11/09/hp-knocks-nokia-from-lead-in-greenpeace-electronics-guide/  But have been targetted in the past:  http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240061839/Greenpeace-protesters-target-HP Dell rated second place on the same measure (ahead of Apple):...