or Connect

Posts by Crowley

I don't disapprove of it.  I think it's a less appropriate means of addressing someone of unknown faith than "happy holidays", but it's still a relatively nice thing to say to someone. I not only tolerate it, I approve of it.  I just approve of the alternative a bit more, and I don't think it's bland or meaningless - it includes Christmas, Hannukah, Solstice,, New Year and more besides!  And if it's a platitude then so is "Merry Christmas", so you can stick that one up...
 Maybe, it's possible.  And you'll probably still refer to them as "the twins" in casual conversation.  And if you want one, but you aren't sure which one, you might say "one of the twins".  Because it's a collective, general term, which is precisely the point. And no, we shouldn't rename the holidays to generic names, no one is suggesting that.  No one is suggesting in any way downgrading or reducing Christmas, or any other holiday.  But when you need to refer to the...
Since I haven't given you any indication of my taste at any point before... shut up troll.
Sheesh, we're onto "I know you are but what am I" now?     Where's a billy goat gruff when you need one?
No I am not showing that intolerance, not even for a second.  You can say Christmas, that's fine.  I don't have a problem with the word or concept, and I don't think anyone else here does either.   But!  It is not the only holiday (religious or secular) in the winter period of mid December through to mid January that is commonly known as the holiday season. So, if you are addressing a crowd, or a person of unknown denomination, it simply makes sense to use a less specific...
But you do celebrate a holiday, so what's wrong with saying "Happy holidays"? Do you object to the word holiday at any other time? "It's not a holiday, it's Labour Day" Or generic words in general? "Don't call me Sir, my name is Jungmark!"  This seems to me a totally false outrage, generic words are fine.
How?  Christmas is a holiday.  Hannukah is a holiday.  Solstice... well I'm not sure it's a holiday, but it's close enough for that to be a reasonable description.  And the winter period contains national holidays in almost all countries, including New Year, which is non-religious.  Happy holiday is a fine cover for all those holidays if you don't know which ones the people that you're addressing observe, and very appropriate if you're addressing a group. So how does it...
 Shouldn't?  That's rather undemocratic.
Sad and true, but we probably shouldn't head too much in that direction or Benjamin Frost will start bleating about white guilt again.