or Connect

Posts by Crowley

As expected. Bit early to be judging that, don't you think?  Investors gain a higher proportional ownership, which is a good thing if you are optimistic about Apple's future.
In a perfect world the market cap is all of the company's assets, minus depreciation, plus cash and minus debt, and the total of all their expected earnings for the lifetime of the company. It's very literally meant to be what the company is worth. Obviously the last bit is a tall order to guess for almost any company, which is where the much-maligned analysts come into play.If Apple were to liquidate everything then they'd fall way short of their market cap; so much of...
I had that issue with my 5.  If I rubbed the back plate for a few seconds I could often create enough heat that it'd turn on again.  Weird and annoying problem.
 You're right that after a buyback each share is worth a greater percentage of the company, but the value of the company has gone down by the amount of cash they've expended (or the debt they've taken on) to buy back shares.  Owning a bigger slice of a smaller pie.  And the maths work out that the size of the new slice is exactly the same as the old slice.  Of course it is, because you can't create value from nothing. This is why buybacks are generally only worth doing if...
My point was that while you can congratulate Apple on a stance of not passing personal information to advertisers, if the net result is that advertisers don't use iAd and use someother ad network that does pass information on, well that's rather a pyhrric victory for iAd. Obviously iAd succeeding or failing doesn't mean much to Apple's bottom line.  But why offer a service at all if it doesn't make money and no one is getting anything out of it?  It's just a distraction....
Make perfect sense from here.  Bit of a mouthful, but they make sense.
Where has this come from?  The iPhone has something like 25-30% market share here, way more than it does in most/all of the rest of Europe*.  Apple gets flack from some people for their tax practices, but so do Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and a whole bunch of others.  Not sure where this resentment is manifesting, I've never seen it. I'm pretty sure the Regent Street Apple Store was the most popular Apple Store in the whole world for a good while. EDIT: Just...
Apple cannot take itself private, a company cannot own itself.  For Apple to go private someone has to buy it, and Apple retiring shares doesn't make that significantly more likely.
If it's Apple buying them then theoretically it shouldn't do, except as a temporary fluctuation because of the trade volume.  Apple's cash is accounted for in the stock price, if Apple use cash to buy stock then the value of the company goes down to the exact same value as that of the shares they buy and retire, i.e. you can't create value from nothing. In real world practice there are some variations because of changes in expectations, and the aforementioned impact of...
Seems like I see more iAd banners advertising the iAd service than any products.  Apple defending users' privacy is all well and good, but if it means that app developers use other advertising networks instead because iAd doesn't have the fill rate then it's all in vain.