or Connect

Posts by Crowley

Make up your mind, is it an excuse to grab money, or the nanny state making choices for you?
All government = bad, for some people.
There's the crux.
Not everywhere. And the need to provide an alternative illustrative example does not make an argument a straw man. That was never the claim.  The claim was that financially engineering your business to avoid tax by exploiting loopholes for reasons they were not intended to be used for is abusive.  Not illegal, not a crime, but abusive.
Don't you have issues with the name?
Well that sounds like a well reasoned argument that it's worthwhile arguing against. /s
No, because I didn't argue against a straw man, I used an alternative example to prove the definition of a word.  If abuse is tied to illegality, as is your postulation, then that needs to be true in all instances of the word abuse, which includes tax abuse, domestic abuse, and any other kind of abuse.  If you only mean that tax abuse is tied to illegality, then you should have said that. You cannot prove the definition of a word from a single example.  Alternatives...
Owners of business may well not pay income tax.  The reason we have a variety of taxes is to cover the bases.  And since they're still not all covered, I certainly don't think less taxation is the answer.
Since yours makes no sense as a statement of fairness, mine.  Everyone pays income tax on the same progressive tax rate, just some people don't earn enough to hit the higher bounds.  Fair, and with reasonable justification.  Your business concerns are for your own profit, and do not justify any tax reduction, that's absurd.
It was about the use of the word abuse, and neither of those things.  Certainly not a straw man, that doesn't even make any sense.  But I don't think there's any suggestion that I was drawing any implicit parallel, it was just another use of the word to illustrate a point.  And you still haven't replied to the question.