or Connect

Posts by Crowley

With no clarification of what that statement means, it doesn't really tell us anything.  If it all happens on-device in a user-visible way it's hardly a problem.  e.g. since location is a part of calendar appointments, then it makes sense for iOS to be intelligent enough to tell that I want to drive where my next appointment is, if it's in 30 minutes time, and a 30 minutes drive away.  Doubly do if I've put in transit time (built into Mac OS X Calendar).  If the location...
 Except that they haven't done anything.  I'm not locking it up from a horde of people I know to be sociopaths, I've taking a minimal-effort precaution against the possibility of one person being an opportunistic thief.   I never mentioned two minutes, and the time period isn't particularly relevant anyway.  Only takes a few seconds to swipe a laptop.  A place like what?  A place with other people?  I'm not judging my colleagues or visitors at all, just taking a sensible...
That's a monumental leap to go from reasonable caution to a judgement of everyone else as sociopaths.  I don't think of anyone I work with as a sociopath, but I also work in a building of a hundred people, and I don't know all of them that well.   Plus, we have visitors to our office who I can't account for.  It's no great skin off my nose, as part of my normal docking ritual, to attach a Kensington lock.  If I were to use my own personal Macbook, I'd be doubly inclined to...
Interesting, thanks.
I'm not sure there's anywhere short of a private home office where I'd feel comfortable just leaving a £1,000+ easily baggable machine on display.  I'm sure it'd be fine 99.9% of the time, but it only takes one 0.1% to have your day ruined. Plus, as someone else mentioned, it's not just workplaces; laptops get taken everywhere and a Kensington lock is a nice and flexible bit of added (not infallible, but nothing is) security.
I don't give a damn about the optical drive, but it'd be nice to see a workhorse non-Retina Macbook in the middle, that's a little bit thicker and heavier, but comes with mega battery life.  Retina is great, but performance and battery is better.
Apple can be careless with their own confidential material as much as they want, but when another party has a stake in the confidential material then Apple has obligations to keep it confidential, or face legal consequences.  Obviously.
Whose inventory levels, resellers?  How "approximate" are those figures?   It seems to me like there's a bit of uncertainty between those measures and "Apple reports sales to end users".  If Apple are approximating then it's not infeasible that Gartner are using their own approximations, which may be better (or worse) than Apple's.   The article takes it as read that Apple's figures are certain.
Oh dear.  I'm not sure if there's a legal argument on "pot calling the kettle black" lines, but I can't imagine this will help Apple out.
 I thought this was disproved?  If nothing else, it just seems implausible that Apple collates sales figures from all of the worldwide retailers that carry iPads. That could be some part of the explanation for the iPad figure discrepancy - Apple report direct sales to end users and shipments to retailers, Gartner estimate sales.