or Connect

Posts by WPLJ42

Funny you should ask. The rare low vision person like me, is sitting 6 ~ 8 inches from an HP AIO with an 18.5 inch screen running 1366 x 768. It doesn't help that AI uses micro fonts when replying to a thread. The majority of 27 inch screens are 1920 X 1080, unless you have deep pockets, then you can have the resolution of the 27 inch iMac, from various providers, even Dell. The fonts on the current 27 inch iMac are hard for many normally sighted folks to use. I will...
Don't fault MS, this time, AMD is pulling the plug: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU119Win8GPUDriverSupport.aspx
Thanks Jeff. I have not seen the iMacs since the release of Snow Leopard. My HP AIO is fine for now, as it uses Windows 7. I am in no hurry to replace it, but hope there is a way for my poor eyesight to return to OS X. Windows 8 is faster in desktop mode than Windows 7, but not worth all the Metro business. I still have my 2007 20 inch iMac. I am wondering if getting Mountain Lion will give me a clue to my questions, or is the hardware too old? It is the entry level...
My vision is different from many. Blurry is the norm. Any flat panel display is even more blurry to me, when not using the native resolution. I was hoping HiDPI would improve upon that. Also, since 1280x720 is exactly half the native resolution for the iMac 27, one might think the pixels would align properly and in clear focus. Something tells me it will have to be a mini using HDMI for me, and a large 720 HDTV. If anyone is doing that and wishes to chime in, I'd...
In the beginning, there was a Registry fix to get the Start Menu back. MS killed it. The Start Menu is Metro only. It is also true, shutting down a PC will be more difficult. I am low vision, and that is the ONLY reason I have a PC now. My iMac is sadly gathering dust. The W8 desktop is more efficient and faster than W7, but that is all. The Facebook and Twitter users MAY like Metro, but I am guessing Enterprise folks will hate it. I can see my very low-res PC with...
The only open minded poster in this thread. I honestly don't know why AI does this sort of thing.
Knowing this day is coming is one thing. Having it truly happen is another. My heart jumped into my throat when it first hit my screen. It must be painful to step down. I wish Steve all the best.
A long, long time ago, I can still remember ..... My entry level iMac 20 inch 2.0 GHz came with just 1 GB of RAM, back in November, 2007. Of course it came with Tiger as the primary OS, and the Apple Store dudes slit open the box to drop in a Leopard upgrade DVD. Leopard was content with 512 MB, so I was fine. I think it makes perfect sense to anticipate 4 GB as a minimum, unless of course, it is also the maximum. Then Apple just gave away profit from an upgrade.
Thanks Marvin. You could assume correctly OpenCL is something I don't understand. As a result, I am less likely to understand why the onboard GPU from Intel is not of value compared to the current mini. I think all agree with you about the HD and needing to be a surgeon to get to it in the mini. I am not against spinning platters until they fail. I cannot see well enough to use any of Apple's AIO machines, be it an iMac, or any of the notebooks. So any computer I...
Marvin, The mini would not be an option for me, unless it had an SSD. My needs don't include discrete graphics, and the HD 3000 is suppose to rival entry level discrete graphics. Perhaps that is more true with Windows than OS X. I hope the mini keeps the independent HDMI port, since it is already there. With 2 Thunderbolt ports, that may not happen. I know, 2 x 500 GB SSDs would cost like a Buick, but what about 1 SSD, and 1 spinning HD in the Server model?