or Connect

Posts by WPLJ42

I cannot help but find this comment offensive: "The average consumer is a blind deaf moron paying too much for content..." For a person like myself, Blu Ray is pretty much useless. I can barely see a difference. I really don't care if Apple does or doesn't add Blu Ray drives to their computers. Steve is just now getting around to HDMI. If you just have to use all this HDTV technology, I suggest getting a PC. The OS supports it, and a growing number of hardware makers...
I was not impressed with Snow Leopard. Of course, I couldn't just uninstall it, I had to reinstall Leopard. Doing a clean install of 10.5.0, installing iLife '08, and updating everything took just about as much time as the upgrade to Snow Leopard alone. Apple says its quicker. I don't think so. I have no use for Snow Leopard. For a company that prides itself on many things, their OS is the most bland of all. My iMac came with Tiger restore DVDs, but they are actually for...
I looked at the DVD and Blu Ray images. The DVD image, a low vision person here, is sort of blurry, and the Blu Ray a little crisper. I suppose if my Mac was hooked up to a huge screen it would make a difference. If that is a good demonstration of Blu Ray versus DVD, count me out. The difference (for me) is marginal. I do see the world in a constantly blurry state, with or without glasses. Guess I have DVD eyes.
Maybe someone else mentioned this. There are so many posts now, I have to admit, I scanned them without reading every word. But, if Mac OSX ever grows past the size limits of DVD DL, then Steve will have to surrender to another format, now won't he? If BL was standard on all Macs, then only one BL DVD is needed for the restore media. One thing that always gets me is the use of slot loading DVD drives. That means no option for 3 inch media. Some people do want that, and...
My first computer, as a Tandy/Radio Shack employee, was a Color Computer, aka Coco. It used (originally) an optional tape drive. Yes, cassette @ 1500 baud. Modem was extra ... 300 baud. My first Coco was $399 and was loaded up with 4K of RAM. After booting, RAM was just over half remaining. I eventually got a Coco III, and pushed the RAM to 256K. Still no HD, never. Single sided 5.25 floppies, and I learned how to cut and notch, making them "flippies." Everyone said that...
My vision is odd, to say the least. Shifting the resolution is so blurry, it would be useless. It is nice to know some can work past it. I seem to remember hardcards running in the ancient 8-bit PCs. I worked for Uncle Tandy (Radio Shack) during the TRS-80 days, and remember the 3rd party hardcards. Yes, 20 MB was huge! McAfee, at the time, was shareware. Ah, those were the days. Both McAfee and Norton fit on a floppy. HA!
John ... I never understood my old G3 iMac, so it went back into the box when I returned to Windows. So, it was left in the dark for years. No wonder it didn't work. It would power up, and the optical drive worked, but the HD was not working. Anyone who knows me on this forum, knows I am low vision. This has to be my last iMac. I do agree with tiny parts I might inhale (giggles) is an issue. I read somewhere that the old hard card idea is on the rebound with SSD chips a...
You mean it is time to split Apple up? I think so! SJ claims Apple has three independent profit centers. Time to unbundle the "triple-play" company. The only "i" product I have ever owned, and plan to keep it that way, is the iMac. The rest of this iCrap is getting on my nerves.
I am of the humble opinion, optical drives are history. Computers will loose them eventually. I would not want a Blu Ray drive in my computer, not even for the 50 GB it holds. I almost never use my optical drive. Only thing is backing up my iTunes library. Apple needs to fix that, so I can backup to another source. The future will bring the end to both CDs for music and DVDs for video. Having a device to hook up with the TV and stereo is one thing, but never would I want a...
I use to have a Blueberry iMac G3 350. It died and I gave it to the Salvation Army. My iMac cost $1250 and is worth less than $500 if I were to attempt a trade-in with Best Buy. Selling my iMac would not be worth my trouble. That's just me. I will have to return to the PC, since you are mentioning it. My eyesight can't get better, and the iMac screens will never get lower resolution. My next computer will have to be accessible. Apple, and all the other guys, need to make...