or Connect

Posts by Akac

We are developers of a pretty popular app which costs about $13. One of the things we're strongly looking at is making the app free, but with restrictions. No ads. Its more of a demo/trial than anything else. Not Freemium. Then if the person likes it, they can use IAP to buy it.    The idea is to move the purchase from the initial "Buy" button in the App store, to after you've tried the app.   My point here is that I think its the way apps are going to move forward...
So this is Apple saying that iWork WILL be getting major improvements over its lifetime? I hope so.
But unlike phone calls, you get to completely control whether you want ANY calls, some calls, or all calls. How is that bad?
Speaking as someone who uses Mavericks:   1) Its a great feature. Of course some websites will try to spam, but you can just turn them off. Super simple too. Examples: Gmail, Weather, etc.. It removes the need for native apps whose sole purpose is to poll a website and provide a notification. 2) Its completely opt-in per website.  3) You can turn it off wholesale in Safari, or per website.   So those of you who say stuff like "first time I get one, I'll stop using...
  Not at all - its just a collection of Google services such as the maps API, not actual core OS APIs.   As an example our flagship app - Pocket Informant - relies on the calendar APIs included in Android 4.0. On previous OSes we had to reverse engineer Google's code. Or another example are widgets - resizable widgets were not supported in specific Android platforms. I can go on and on.   On iOS we have to write our software to gracefully limit functionality on older...
  That only helps fragmentation for users to a degree. It does not help fragmentation for developers.
My take is simple. iOS 7 beta 1 sucked. I really love beta 4 and am excited to see how it progresses. The big thing is that iOS 7 FEELS a lot better in use than via static screenshots.
My two cents if it means much. The interface in screenshots is not something I want to install on my device; but then I installed it. Of course at first I still disliked it. After a week I can't go back to iOS 6 without feeling like I'm running some old OS. I love most of iOS 7 now. (I say most because there are some elements I do not like still).
It's quite possible to "delete" Apples apps without affecting the underlying system services, but it's ridiculous for any reason of space. The system services are already separate to the point that the apps themselves are just shells around them with UI for non-system service parts. For example Maps is a shell around MapKit with UI for its alerts, bookmarks, and cards. Safari is a system only version of UIWebView with bookmarks and tabs. So trying to delete them for...
Easy answer. Use Kiosk mode. It's called Guided access.