or Connect

Posts by plovell

Personally, no. (*)  But I support a number of family-and-friends Macs and some of those are indeed in this category. The most recent example is a cousin with a 15" MacBook Pro who asked me to apply the latest upgrades. We found that, unfortunately, 10.7 Lion was as far as that hardware could go. And my brother-in-law still stays with his PowerMac G5 running 10.5 despite all my efforts to get him moved to a Mac Mini. The cousin, in particular, asked for the upgrade because...
To give credit where credit is due, Microsoft has been supplying security patches for older versions of Windows  - stretching much further back than Apple does for OS X versions. People with older hardware (maybe can't afford a new Mac) can't get security patches and are left exposed. I can agree with Apple not adding features to old versions, but it should do more with regard to security updates.
"... giving MCX direct access to a checking account"   Hell NO !   No security (they were hacked already) and no protection of the kind you get with a credit card.    But the real issue is that they present no value proposition for the customer. There is NO upside for me to use this. There's plenty for Walmart but none for me. I find it hard to believe that they're this far down the path and still have not presented a "why" to encourage a customer to use it....
That's possible only from an iTunes backup, and an encrypted one at that. I think we all remember a few instances where someone (celebrities in some cases) had their iCloud backup "restored" onto a hacker's phone. So I am nor surprised that Apple doesn't support it (password-restore) from an iCloud backup. Maybe they'll revisit that decision in the case of an iCloud account with 2FA.
And the children have to walk to school, and back home. It's uphill both ways.
This is seriously sucky.   I had iTunes match until my library exceeded 25K "songs". At that point you're toast. You can't buy more capacity, you can't select what "songs" in your library you want in " Match". It's all-or-nothing. After a year - when my library crossed the iRubicon - I was done.   If they're now killing your own [local] playlists and ignoring the music you have in your library - then why on earth would I even consider it?
I wonder whether Apple Music will pay attention to the fact that I purchased the album - although not from iTunes - and it's in my library.   Is it playable in this scenario?
I love the use of "constructive" as a substitute for "we're at Marble Arch, not Tyburn". The reality will set in soon enough.
Braeburn is a part of Apple (wholly-owned subsidiary, or whatever). It's not a separate arms-length corporation but the division of Apple that handles its investments.
Not sure about the "LTE" part. Isn't this what all the "white space" spectrum discussion was all about ?? All those unused and/or recently-freed TV channels.  So you'd have fiber strung along main roads and white-space short-haul to individual houses. AT&T's U-Verse approach makes a lot of sense if you can use this spectrum.