or Connect

Posts by plovell

I'll bet that Angela Ahrendts had a lot to do with making this possible.
Your comment about Google Wallet reminds me that, in that case, all transactions rather obviously have to go through Google. That's because it's Google that pays the merchant, and your credit card then reimburses Google. The reason for this is that GW came along before EMV had done tokenization (and other reasons too, I guess). I wonder what the new xxx-Pay systems will be like (e.g. Samsung Pay, etc). Will they use tokenization if possible? Does anyone other than the bank...
Gator - I believe that Soli is correct on this. I read the EMV docs that describe how tokenized transactions are done and it does seem to me that the transaction goes from the merchant to the payment processor (one of the EMV, etc). There isn't a place on the path for Apple to handle the transaction. For signup, though, there is obviously a step through Apple's servers. How else can a signup get from your phone to the card issuer? But for purchase transactions, your phone...
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the transaction doesn't go to Apple. Here's why:- your iPhone converses via NFC with the merchant's terminal, and the transaction then goes to the appropriate card issuer (Visa, MC, AmEx, etc). They don't route it through Apple, but directly from their back-office system, or whatever. You are correct that the signup process goes via Apple, or at least seems to (how else does your iPhone know where/how to send the signup?). Maybe Apple handles...
Not with El Capitan, but it is correct for Yosemite.
I guess you haven't yet been hit up for the transaction fee for withdrawing cash. Many banks do at ATMs, of course, but some also do even at the teller window.
Actually, the retailer with chip+PIN has more information than is the case with AP. With AP, they don't get your actual card number, for example, which is one of the merchant gripes that CurrentC is supposed to address (although poorly).
The signup stuff is handled by, or perhaps "through", Apple's servers. The actual process is done by the card issuer (Visa, MasterCard, AmEx, etc) For actual payment I believe that the transaction goes directly to the issuer. Apple does not get the purchase transaction.
And there are only four of them. A right-royal cartel.
These are questions that I cannot answer for you. And whatever restrictions there are not mine, but Apple's. You must discuss those issues and your own app/content/licensing model with your developer support folks. With regard to your question about Spotify, I can see how they would argue that the same rate should apply to their content (licensed from third parties, etc) as is the case for the Apple TV streaming content. I don't know whether or not they'll be successful...