or Connect

Posts by plovell

We don't know that. Samsung doesn't release sales figures. It talks about "shipments" but it's well-known that in the past a lot of that was channel-stuffing. And never a mention of returns.
Maybe. But, having read Apple's description of how it handles the data, I think that opt-out is OK. Especially since the disclosure is so clear and up-front.
Think: it's now on sale in China.
I would expect that Square will update its iPad stand ("Square Stand") device to include NFC. They already have Lightning support and can connect to some external devices, so NFC is an obvious "want". But you might want something smaller, more like the card reader that Square (and others) offer. Square Reader will soon support chip cards but I haven't seen an announcement about NFC in the reader.
As I understand it, NFC is all the terminals need to support Apple Pay. So if they already have NFC then no update is necessary. I believe that there IS some software change needed in the merchant back-office system but that's software-only, not hardware. I expect that vendors of POS systems are providing those to their customers - the merchants.
Apple already said that it will roll out in Europe next year. I guess that Canada will get it also (maybe even sooner ?) Europe is attractive because there are lots of NFC terminals already. OTOH, they already have chip+PIN so there's less urgency for it than there is in the U.S.
For a transaction, it seems that the answer is "no". The POS terminal does the networking, not your phone. I'm not sure about Google Wallet but I expect that it would need an internet connection. It's in the bank that issued your card. The iPhone does not have it, nor does Apple.
Lots of businesses can't do their own IT and technology assessments because they have no access to the data that Gartner etc have. In most cases they're paying for the data rather than the analysis, which is often substandard and self-serving [IMHO, having been on the receiving end of some].  My view is that their analysis is shallow and self-serving, being primarily aimed to get companies to buy more reports rather than help those companies make better decisions.
Well said. Apple was in the "run a factory" business before and knows what it entails. They don't want to do that. It's not their specialty. They want others to do that and focus on it, for that is their specialty. The development of iPhone 4 illustrates the point well. Foxconn built prototypes for Apple using specialty, prototype-style milling machines. These weren't intended for large-scale production but just for small numbers of special, custom pieces during...
A note of caution: do outsiders know what you know? If not then, even if you're a low-level employee, you would be trading on "insider knowledge". That's illegal. The insider-trading rules aren't just for high-level executives, but apply to anyone who has non-public knowledge about the financial situation of the company. tl;dr  if morale is low and people are leaving then you can sell your shares. That info is sort-of public. But if someone leaves a copy of next week's...