or Connect

Posts by plovell

It's all to do with "presence". So FaceTime is broken as well - at least for me
You're not alone in thinking that you needed an Apple product to get an AppleID. Many folks share the same belief and perhaps at one time it was true, but not now. However, unless I'm mistaken, you DO need an Apple product to get an AppleID with an iCloud email address. To clarify: anyone can get an AppleID with, say, a gmail address. But to get an AppleID with an iCloud address, you need to do it from an Apple device. Not only that - there is a lifetime limit of three...
One note about Dropbox: it does NOT work with the file format used by the new versions of iWork. With the new versions, Pages/Numbers/Keynote "files" are packages (i.e. directories with files inside). Syncing between Macs works fine but changes are NOT noticed by Dropbox-for-iOS. I have complained several times to Dropbox and they acknowledged the problem. It seems they're not going to fix it. 
Why ?? If I knew that then I'd be rich. But I don't so I'm not :( The comments from analysts are worthless (mostly) with regard to Apple because Wall Street continues to believe that Apple works the same way that other companies do. It does in part, but a lot is different and WS does not have the humility to recognize that it can't bully its way into getting the information it wants. As happens with all other companies (at least, as far as I know). So the analysts get...
I wonder how the trolls will spin this ??
For the same reason that I hire a plumber when that work needs doing. Difference is that plumbers generally know what they're doing and sometimes "analysts" do not. For people who are not familiar with investments, hiring a professional is a good move, but he/she needs to be good.
Yeah but ... baseball is not a binary system. Analysts can get the direction right 50% of the time just by chance. An analyst who is getting 70-80% right will be a star, not at 50%. The fundamental problem is that the way Apple works is not the same way that other tech companies work. And that the analysts keep basing their analysis on the general behavior rather than the Apple-specific one they have observed.  When the starting premises are flawed, it is any wonder that...
As they say, "it depends". Seriously though, it depends upon the contract. In some cases, payment is due when the product is shipped, in others it's when it leaves the distributor for the front-end shop. And there are other variations. Apple's statistics report actual sales numbers when they have them, such as sales at Apple Stores or through the on-line store. I have heard (don't know for sure) that product held by distributors (e.g. Ingram) isn't counted until it ships...
"... tell investigators that users will be notified of the request prior to disclosure. Law enforcement agencies say the practice gives time for criminals to delete incriminating records, thus hindering an investigation."   The law-enforcement complaints are without much merit. If they have probable cause then they can get a warrant and that might contain a gag order. And Apple will comply with that.   But mostly they do not have probable cause and are getting data...
 Fair comment. But Amazon makes no profit (essentially zero - the P/E is 514). And, for some inexplicable reason, the stock fell 10% just today. Apple has been making money like it's going out of style - for several years now - and Wall Street thinks it's little more than trash. After a long time, the stock is up about 9%. And P/E is 14. You're right - just because Apple makes money doesn't mean that its stock will go up, or that it will reflect its value. I certainly...