or Connect

Posts by plovell

I'm not sure but I think that phones ordered directly with Apple are counted as "sold" when the customer is billed. As an example, I recently ordered an iPad (custom) through the Apple Store. I have been billed for it but it won't be here until Thursday (Oct 1). I believe that Apple will count that as a September sale.
The death-knell ringers are undeterred. They'll be saying that Apple is DOOMED because they didn't sell, say, twenty million on launch weekend.
 That's true. But as soon as you enable WiFi the "lock" signal will be delivered. The exploit requires Siri - either cellular or WiFi - and the lost-mode-activation will be delivered as soon as networking is enabled - either cellular or WiFi. Airplane Mode with WiFi enabled isn't 100% genuine "Airplane Mode".
 But the exploit requires Siri and that requires network. Siri can't work in Airplane Mode.
There's another problem with this design. I like to use a right-angled plug because the part outside the socket is shorter and less likely to get bent. But the D-shape won't allow rotation and that will certainly cause problems. If Apple is going to a proprietary design then redesign it properly rather than tweaking it just a bit.
Since the limit at Amazon is 250,000 songs, I don't think it's an issue with the labels.
And absolutely nothing changed for iTunes Match. Same 25,000 song limit. No option to upgrade.   Someone in Cupertino is fast asleep.
I'll bet that Angela Ahrendts had a lot to do with making this possible.
Your comment about Google Wallet reminds me that, in that case, all transactions rather obviously have to go through Google. That's because it's Google that pays the merchant, and your credit card then reimburses Google. The reason for this is that GW came along before EMV had done tokenization (and other reasons too, I guess). I wonder what the new xxx-Pay systems will be like (e.g. Samsung Pay, etc). Will they use tokenization if possible? Does anyone other than the bank...
Gator - I believe that Soli is correct on this. I read the EMV docs that describe how tokenized transactions are done and it does seem to me that the transaction goes from the merchant to the payment processor (one of the EMV, etc). There isn't a place on the path for Apple to handle the transaction. For signup, though, there is obviously a step through Apple's servers. How else can a signup get from your phone to the card issuer? But for purchase transactions, your phone...