or Connect

Posts by plovell

I agree. It is much easier to shop on iPad than iPhone ! Wow - you touch on lots of hot buttons ! - carrier lock-in: this has indeed been a problem. The carriers feel that they "own" the phone and therefore want a slice of the action with any payment solution. Ideally, payments would run through your monthly bill. Google did not want this, nor does Apple. But Apple has the advantage in that it has never allowed carriers to control the customer relationship. This is a...
NexusPhan suggested Bluetooth as a solution (I hadn't thought of that) and it seems that it could be a nice solution. The iPhone would do all the security work (dealing with the token etc) and the browser would just pass through the secured blob. This would neatly sidestep the security problems with a browser interface. It would also open up the solution to suitably-equipped Windows  machines (I would expect that more than a few iPhone 6 users use Windows).
Hhmmm. Yes - that does indeed sound workable.  And because the security stuff happens on the iPhone, it doesn't need to be Mac-only. It could be done on Windows if the appropriate hardware and software is present. Yes - BT is a good solution. Thanks for mentioning it (I hadn't thought of that)
Nope. Only tokens. And, as I mentioned an another post, I have no idea how they'll do on-line purchases.  Doing it from your iPhone is easy but how does it work with a desktop? That will be interesting to see, and very interesting to me as I do it a lot.
I believe that has been confirmed (don't have a reference ready to hand but think it was via Banking Innovations site). I'll post the link if I can find it. To your point, I don't think it was a posting directly from Apple, but from people who worked to enable this. When the details emerged, I was surprised at the low percentage that Apple gets. Small enough to ask myself "why?". It's 0.15% whereas the banks/issuers get 2.5 - 3.0% So Apple is certainly not doing it for the...
That's good if you like it. I do not, because I do not want Google to have all my credit card numbers in addition to everything else it collects about me. YMMV.It's a stretch to claim that using an EMVCo standard amounts to "behind the scenes deals". Surely you can do better than this?
But these are Google tokens. Not bank tokens.
I expect that the updated Square iPad device will have swipe, chip and NFC capability. The existing one did swipe and they've announced chip, but not NFC so far.  Edit: the plug-in (headphone jack) thingie will be doing swipe and chip, and work for iPhone and iPad. The stand that holds the iPad like a POS device is the one that I expect to have NFC. It would be nice if they could do it in the plug-in but it would be more challenge.
Then you need to read this. As far as I know, Apple is the only company doing it - for the moment.http://usa.visa.com/clients-partners/technology-and-innovation/visa-token-service/faqs.jsp​
That is good to know. I knew it to be true for T-Mobile but had not heard that AT&T and Verizon ones were unlocked also. Maybe even Sprint -- shock, horror !!