or Connect

Posts by plovell

Please don't hold your breath. What's coming is chip+signature, not chip+PIN (with a few possible exceptions). But chip+sig is a lot better than swipe cards because cloning isn't possible.
Well that makes life difficult, although I guess it depends upon the size of the "certain range". If I buy stuff at home it's not done using my phone. If I buy anything using my phone then it'll always be away from home. Shades of "who sold you that idea, then ??"
More to the point - why would they NOT do that ??
 A couple of clarifications:1. there is no "mandate" for "the end of 2015". There is a liability shift beginning in October 2015 and that's very similar to a mandate though  2. banks are on the hook for fraud after that if they haven't issued you a chip card. Again, that's not exactly a "mandate" but is close 3. merchants are liable for fraud if they don't have chip-enabled readers (and you have a chip card) 4. RFID and NFC are recommended but NOT required, as far as I...
 It's actually chip+signature in most cases (very few banks doing chip+PIN AFAIK). But you are right - mag swipe ability will still be there. But this raises a very interesting possibility. As I mentioned in an earlier post, new cards will have both chip and mag-strip. And the new readers know the difference. I speculated that it could be because of something encoded in the mag-strip but there's another possibility - the bank knows if it sent you a chip card and so won't...
Chick - I think that perhaps you may have misunderstood your bank's letter. What I think they're saying (based upon a somewhat similar one I received a while back) that that they're issuing you with a new chip card. I expect that this card will also have a mag stripe on the back. That's for two reasons: (1) many merchants don't yet have chip-card readers and many that do have them haven't enabled them yet (Home Depot - I'm looking at you), and (2)gas-pump readers aren't...
If it's just LoopPay, that's true. But the article said that it will use NFC also. If they do that, and also use EMV's tokenization (an open standard, not exclusive to Apple) then it'll be very close to Apple Pay. This will be interesting to watch :)
Fully agree. It is pitiful to hear these complaints of "States' Rights". About the big, bad Federal Gubmint trailing all over them. What the reality is that the big, bad State Gubmint has been trampling all over the rights of the cities. As has been noted elsewhere, this is like the 6th grade bully complaining about the high-schooler hitting him, when what the high-schooler was doing was stepping in to break up the bullying of the 3rd grader.
I think that that is a good summary of what happened today. A couple of years ago, the FCC put out some less-specific rules about what today is labeled as "net neutrality". Against the advice of all of their friends, Verizon decided to file suit to overturn these rules on the basis that they weren't regulated (that specific part) and so the FCC had overstepped its bounds. The Court of Appeals agreed and overturned the FCC rules. Today's rules are the rather predictable...
 I do not believe that the "EMV which also INCLUDES NFC" claim is correct. Merchants all have to update to EMV readers (i.e. chip-capable) and most (95% or better, I've heard) are including NFC in that upgrade. But I don't believe that the EMV compliance REQUIRES NFC to be present. I think it's encouraged, but not required. One thought, though, about Google Wallet (GW) and tokenization. If you use GW then your actual card number (Primary Account Number PAN) is on file with...