or Connect

Posts by plovell

Not quite. It was the cooperation between Apple and some publishers to RAISE the pricing of e-books.
They were probably active for PayPass/payWave and those were grandfathered. And maybe Google Wallet also was grandfathered - I'm just speculating. Whatever it was, it didn't get enough attention for anyone to do anything about it. It just didn't matter. Then ... BOOM ... Apple made a big splash. And the actions of CVS and Rite-Aid are a huge vote of confidence in its success.
And I have a few purchased at $24. And that was pre-split, so about $3.50 for today's shares. Alas, far too few of them.
Look at it in a slightly different way. Apple International pays a share of the R&D costs - in proportion to the sales in America vs. rest-of-world. But all those people are in the U.S. So ASI is in fact sending a large chunk of that money back  - paying salaries etc in Cupertino and elsewhere. I'm glad that Apple has not done what many others have and moved some of that offshore. That said, I agree with your position. I just don't hold it as strongly as you.
I can't agree with you on this one. Running such a business is not Apple's strength and it would detract and distract Apple from what it does do well. I remember the signs that would occasionally appear in stores: "We have a deal with the bank. We don't give credit and they don't sell groceries". Apple has often said that there are a thousand "no"s for every "yes". This principle has served them well.
 Maybe I didn't explain my question well enough. Or maybe I'm just thick. Apple's cash in Europe can't be repatriated to the U.S. without paying a lot in tax. Got that. But why would Apple borrow Euros, presumably to invest in the Eurozone somewhere, when they already have more stored there than they know what to do with? Or is the plan to borrow Euros, convert to dollars and move them to the U.S.? If so, why borrow Euros? Why not borrow dollars directly, in Europe?
Why is Apple borrowing Euros? I thought it had piles of cash in Europe already. I can understand borrowing dollars but don't understand this.    Someone please enlighten me.
Probably.It would still want direct access to your bank account since credit, and debit, cards are not yet accepted. And your SSN and driver license info, although someone today says that "they don't really want that". It would be a tokenized ACH transaction, and MCX would still have direct access to your bank account.Far better to let it fail on its own. Don't give MCX any basis for complaint about "unfair treatment" or whatever.
 Bad plan. This would lead to all sorts of blowback. Far better to let CurrentC fail on its own.
Probably it was because Google Wallet was there first and was sort-of "grandfathered". It is always tough to remove an existing capability when a "new thing" arrives. Moreover, CurrentC wasn't "live" yet so no-one paid attention.