or Connect

Posts by plovell

One option would be to make the pixels a bit bigger but keep the count the same. If they do that then developers don't have to re-tweak all the apps.
Two more rings for the death-knell counter. Ding dong. Oh - Wall Street doesn't understand Apple. Neither do you, it seems.
Doomed maybe but this isn't why. The XML stuff is open but lots of the pieces in there are binary blobs in ... you guessed it ... original proprietary format. The format of the blobs isn't documented/open but much of it has been reverse-engineered. So competitors are still where they were before - close but not fully-compatible.
True. And Wall Street ignores it.
Is this really true?? Everything that I have seen says that the Lending Library is such that borrowed books can be read on Kindle devices ONLY, and NOT on iPhone/iPad using Kindle for iOS. It would be nice if this were true but I fear it is not.
I wonder if $79 to $99 increase is greater than inflation over the nine-year period. At 25% it probably is but I'm not sure by how much.
Yeah but - Dropbox doesn't scan your data and make use of that.
That's a soft-pitch question. The easy answer is that Australian profits should be taxed in Australia and that profits earned in the various countries should be taxed in those countries. The hard question is to determine what is the "profit" earned in the various countries. Unfortunately I have no good answer for that. I know that "retail price less cost of product ex-China" is NOT the right answer, although it is a part of the answer. On top of that base cost must be...
I did not miss that point. My comment included it quite specifically ... >I'll grant that it is rather dubious that these operations are incorporated in Ireland >yet not directed there, thereby enabling part of the "double Irish - Dutch sandwich".
You miss the point - which is that Apple's Irish operations ARE headquartered in Ireland, and not in the U.S. So what Apple is doing is tax minimization rather than tax avoidance. I'll grant that it is rather dubious that these operations are incorporated in Ireland yet not directed there, thereby enabling part of the "double Irish - Dutch sandwich".OTOH, Apple Ireland has paid its proportionate share of development costs ever since 1980 - this is no recent change. So...