or Connect

Posts by plovell

I did not miss that point. My comment included it quite specifically ... >I'll grant that it is rather dubious that these operations are incorporated in Ireland >yet not directed there, thereby enabling part of the "double Irish - Dutch sandwich".
You miss the point - which is that Apple's Irish operations ARE headquartered in Ireland, and not in the U.S. So what Apple is doing is tax minimization rather than tax avoidance. I'll grant that it is rather dubious that these operations are incorporated in Ireland yet not directed there, thereby enabling part of the "double Irish - Dutch sandwich".OTOH, Apple Ireland has paid its proportionate share of development costs ever since 1980 - this is no recent change. So...
The Apple entities ARE based in Ireland. They are subsidiaries but that is of no legal consequence in this discussion. And I believe, although I not sure, that Apple had an incorporated entity inAustralia even before it opened its own stores there.
So if you want to set up design + build for "Australia's Own Phone" - go right ahead. I hear that there's a site in Fisherman's Bend and another in SA that'll be available soon.
 No. BUT - Apple Ireland has been paying its share of R&D costs (mostly in California) since 1980. As such, Apple Ireland does have a valid claim to the revenues produced by that investment. As it is right now, Apple Ireland contributes more to Apple's R&D expenses than Apple US, since their sales are greater. So - Is it [OS development] done in Ireland? No.Is it paid for from Ireland? Yes. Next question ...
I don't have access to the AFRs analysis or to the records Apple provided ATO.   It is certainly undeniable that Apple has been create in its tax accounting. It uses the "double-Irish-Dutch" scheme and some have said that it invented it. That, however, is beside the point.   A crucial point - almost always overlooked in sensational media releases such as these, is that thirty years ago Apple took a bold step in its development strategy. One that has paid off in this...
Indeed - page-clicks being the name of the game. Having "Apple" in the headline boosts them a lot.
I like iTunes Radio and got Match for the ad-free-ness. But what's with the incessant "You're listening to iTunes Radio" things. Mostly once, but sometimes more. Even six and seven times !! WTF
I'm surprised that it wasn't higher !
Analysts are like donuts - fat with a hole in the middle. They think that Apple will ditch the Mac in favor of iPads. How then, dear analysts, do you think that any iPad or iPhone apps would be developed ?? Would Apple license OS X to run, say, on Dell or HP machines ?? Get a clue, people. Rule #1: start brain before putting mouth in gear.