or Connect

Posts by plovell

iTunes Match is not "flawless". Far from it.   My library has over 25,000 songs and, once you hit that limit, you're screwed. Nothing really works again. You can't increase it by "buying more". You can't manage what's stored in "the cloud".    Once you hit that limit - game over.   On the other hand, for the same $25, Google will store 250,000 songs.   Apple is doing some serious "footgun" here by being stingy, and all the while sitting on a huge pile of cash....
True - he accepts the choices (made by politicians and the populace) about spending, and highlights the mismatch.  At the time, in 2010, it was about as bad as it could be ($1.5T) with bailouts and fiscal stimulus and all. It's a lot lower now, about a third of that, I think. This is the part where you lost me. The population in the U.S. is still growing at a reasonable rate, unlike that of other countries. It's true that there's a "boom" from the post-war years but I...
Perhaps you forget that Greenspan was Chairman of the Fed at that time he made his original comments. You should read the whole article. His opinion is more than an opinion. It was hugely influential. Maybe read these also ...Does Anyone Still Remember Why We Have The Bush Tax Cuts?http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/07/12/does-anyone-still-remember-why-we-have-the-bush-tax-cuts/ "As things turned out, the surplus that gave life to the initial Bush tax cuts had all...
While this is true, it is only one part of the story. If revenue is fixed, the problem is spending. If spending is fixed, the problem is revenue. The crux of the issue is that "the problem" is when spending AND revenue are too far out of line with one another. It's neither SOLELY spending nor SOLELY revenue. We can discuss which should change, or both, and by how much. But to assert that spending is the problem is oversimplifying the issue.
 Try this ... Greenspan Calls for Repeal of All the Bush Tax Cutshttp://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/07/business/economy/07greenspan.html A choice quote..."While Mr. Greenspan did not endorse a specific approach, his broad support for the tax cuts nearly a decade ago was pivotal in securing one of the Bush administration’s top domestic policy goals and in providing political cover for members of Congress.Now, in response to accusations of political expediency, Mr. Greenspan...
No-one likes paying taxes but people are prepared to do so when they believe that they receive value for them. So I'm in support of an increase in gas (petrol) tax in the U.S. if we get better roads and improved/repaired bridges. Do you think that you get good value for all your money being set aside for the Trident replacement? I suspect not. Nor do I think that the U.S. needs the number of aircraft carriers it has, or the number of F-35s that are planned. My money is...
A good point. Back in the early 90's Apple was full of it (in both senses). There was just no way any regional person could deny the advantages of AppleTalk (EtherTalk) and stick with lame, stupid TCP/IP. It just wasn't thinkable. Yeah. Right. But much has changed since then. And I think that Apple's in-house university (the one created by Steve in the years leading up to his death) is a big reason that we're not likely to see this hubris return. Not impossible but I think...
Maybe for graphics. But crypto would be a big reason.
True. But if you look at history you'll see lots of posters in the 1940's for "War Bonds". Back then, people knew that there was a war on and that they were paying for it. With money and with their lives, or those of their sons. Now it's "war on the cheap". The funding goes off-budget but is added to the debt and there is no widespread manpower (womanpower) contribution to the military. A recent study showed that a majority of people in the U.S. do not personally know...