or Connect

Posts by plovell

The interesting question is whether the Ericsson patents are standards-essential, or not. If they are then FRAND terms will apply. And the Court will look at similar licensing deals in order to decide on an appropriate rate. The same consideration would apply to Qualcomm. They could try for a high rate but there's no certainty that they'd get it.
Ben: the point is my comment is exactly that Apple CANNOT do that, as things now stand.  For example, you work in OS X for a while creating come documents. Let's assume "Pages" for sake of simplicity. Then you reboot to iOS (seriously - this will require a reboot) to work as an iPad. But wait - my docs are gone !! I can't find them !!  Actually they are still there - it's just that you can't access them. And similarly when you switch back from iOS to OS X-mode. Your iOS...
I hadn't seen that. It could be very interesting. Thanks.
Think about a gradual transition. MBAs soon with USB-C but MBAs iMacs and MacPros staying with intel x86 and Thunderbolt. And then for Apple to evaluate the acceptance and adjust accordingly. And, by the way, is there any definitive detail on Apple's rights with Thunderbolt? If I recall correctly, it was a joint-development between Intel and Apple, and not an Intel technology that Apple adopted. As such, I would expect that Apple has substantial rights to the IP involved....
A good evaluation of the situation with hardware. But that's only half of the story. There is a real divide between OS X and iOS. It's more than the hardware, and not related to "touch", although that is relevant. It's that OS X is a multi-user system in the full sense. There are multiple logins, separate home directories, user-specific permissions and all the other things that characterize a regular Unix system (and it's POSIX-certified). But iOS is entirely different....
There was one on ARM vs. x86 but this is not the same.  Similar territory, different view and details. This has a lot more about Intel as a company and their vision - or lack of it.
And "TDP" actually means "battery life". Mostly. It's interesting to see how Apple plays these two in different directions with various products.  With iPhone/iPad, it's entirely on battery life. But with MBP, for example, it's management of heat. So MBPs have a fan - in order to dissipate heat - rather than reducing performance and eliminating the fan. Of course, Apple would love to have the performance with no fan but, if push comes to shove, they'll accept the fan and...
 I sent it, you have it. You have just chosen to ignore it. Enjoy your bliss.
 You're also free to believe that the earth is flat. Evidence indicates otherwise, as it does here. Enjoy your beliefs.
Dasan: I don't have to spoon-feed you, you know. I said press reports and you asked for them. So I went and found them for you.  OK - I'll give you two more. Is "The Verge" independent enough for you? Which smartwatch should you buy?http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/25/5937835/android-wear-pebble-smartwatch-buying-guide Choice quote: "...but it's likely that far better things are right around the corner, and the smart move might just be to wait for those." Meta Watch's...