or Connect

Posts by plovell

I agree that there would be a performance penalty but that would only be for non-native apps. All of Apple's apps would be native from day-one (i.e. fat-binary) and I expect that lots of third-party developers would be quick to recompile and ship fat-binary.  So many apps would be full-speed at release or very shortly thereafter. And no serious deficiency w.r.t. an Intel-based Mac. As you say, other apps would be below the comparable performance on an Intel-based...
Not a troll-question - I honestly don't know. Does AMD have an x86 license from Intel, or did they reverse-engineer it ? My recollection is that they did the latter but I don't know for sure. Does anyone have a definitive answer ?
There is a BIG difference between OS X apps and iOS apps. And it has NOTHING to do with ISAs "...OS handles the automatic layout of the interface to fit the screen. Not possible with x86 and ARM code since the data is affected by the structure of ISAs but totally possible with a single ISA, ARM." This makes zero sense. And, no, this is not what Windows is doing. 
There is a keyboard and it works well. Apple Bluetooth keyboard is your answer. Buy it, pair it. Done But, to your point about copy/paste, what we do NOT have is a mouse or trackpad. I have tried to pair Apple's Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse and these haven't connected - only the keyboard. I would LOVE it if I could use either of these devices with iPad (plus keyboard).
Repeat after me: iOS is NOT OS X, OS X is NOT iOS, iOS is NOT OS X, OS X is NOT iOS Get it ??? There is NO way that an iOS/OS X combo app makes sense. The user interface to the file system is totally different and that's where this "compatibility" breaks down. Files in iOS are stored in the app's folder, and in OS X they're elsewhere.  And in OS X a user can run an app and open a file anywhere (within reason). Not possible in iOS.  I understand both OS X and iOS and their...
There is no point for Apple to strip stuff out of x86. If they want full x86 then stay with it. Maybe the reason is being able to run BootCamp, maybe not - I don't know.  One thing of which I am sure is that Apple would have no interest in doing a Franken-x86, with some of the stuff but not all. What would be the benefit? A whole bunch of stuff - not just Windows - wouldn't run and there would be endless arguments as to who was to blame. It's just not worth going there....
Repeat after me: OS X is NOT iOS, OS X is NOT iOS, OS X is NOT iOS. Got it? There is no reason to expect any iOS apps to run on a Mac. Macs use OS X and that's not the same as iOS. There are similarities but they are NOT the same. Do NOT equate "ARM" and "iOS". They are orthogonal. Macs could be built using ARM but that does NOT mean that they would run iOS apps.
ARM was set up for licensing, and they never did their own fabrication. Intel is totally different.  On the flip side, for me personally I love that I can run Windows on my Macs. It's mandatory for me that it is able to do that. Running ARM with x86-emulation is going to suck, if it is even an option technically. I love macs, but for non-mobile devices, it's gonna be a Windows world.If you have to be able to run Windows then I agree that x86 is in your future. OTOH, I need...
An iOS-based Mac would be a Very Bad Thing. The primary reason for this is that the user experience is quite different, in ways that we tend to forget. Specifically, the user access to the file system is application-based (all the files for an app are stored in the app's folder) whereas OS X gives the user the ability to mix'n'match what app accesses which files. Totally different UI paradigm. Now, I can well see an ARM-powered MBA. All Apple's apps would be fat-binary...
I have and like the Apple wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard for use with iPad.   What I want is the ability to pair a Magic Trackpad or Magic Mouse as well. Then we'd have something that works like a laptop when needed and is still an iPad.   Reaching up to the screen to select things is just bad -- Steve knew this and said so more than once. A Mouse or Trackpad is a better way to go if you're using a BT keyboard.