or Connect

Posts by plovell

The iPad ad "Now" also has a Lion reference. The star constellation shown is Leo.
Is there a deductible on this? That might alter the equation. But not enough to favor the AT&T plan - that's robbery.
I bought SquareTrade's for iPhone because of the coverage for accidental damage. But for MBPs I get Applecare and it has been worth it
Well, wonders will never cease. AT&T has finally realized that it no longer has an exclusive on iPhone and has to compete, even if just a little. I wonder when we'll be able to get reasonably-priced service plans that don't continue to rip you off after your contract is up? Or a GoPhone plan that includes data.
Why is it that both AT&T and Verizon continue to charge full service price after the subsidy/contract period finishes? It's because we have a duopoly, that's why. This should be illegal. Is it regulated by FCC or FTC - I'm not sure who handles contract issues such as this. Maybe it should be one of the conditions if AT&T gets approval to buy T-Mobile.
Just reading the story I can tell this isn't the usual patent-infringement stuff. 1. it seems to be for hardware, not software. And these folks manufacture stuff. 2. It's not filed in the Eastern District of Texas, which is the preferred locale for patent trolling (and some non-trolls as well, to be fair) 3. It is filed in Western District of Pennsylvania which is, golly gosh, where they do business Let's wait and see how this one goes.
Anyone in U.S. had any luck with getting AT&T to unlock an iPhone? I want to use local phone service in Germany when I travel there this Fall.
I also saw this, and my opinion of Ed Bott took a dive. OTOH I guess he's paid for page-views rather than accuracy.
Time for folks to do a reality check. As I said earlier, I don't believe that any senior management at Apple knew about or approved this. It's just not the sort of thing that fits with all the other things they do. It has the same "feel" to it as the Google WiFi problem - something done at lower level and, in Google's case, an oversight. I think that the same is likely here also. As John Gruber put it - it's a bug. It's only supposed to keep the last location or two...
Folks - the significant takeaway here is *not* what's going on in Android-land, or nearby. What is important to remember is that Gartner's credibility is near zero. At least in markets such as this. Maybe they're OK in the more traditional, business-oriented IT stuff where you can look at trends and extrapolate. However, that is not where we are in this case. We're in a period of disruption and major change and Gartner doesn't have a good track record in that space...