or Connect

Posts by ontheinside

"A report from CNET has found that the Thunderbolt update applies to a single kernel extension called "IONetworkingFamily.kext" and is possibly carrying a bug that makes the connectivity kernel incompatible with Lion Macs. The report also noted the process of installing the new Thunderbolt software cannot be reversed since it is an update to an extension and not the installation of a completely new kernel." WTF!?! Who wrote this? This is utter nonsense. The very fact that...
Gareth just updated to confirm passcode-protected iOS devices are safe provided the thief or attacker does not have access to a computer which knows the passcode. One which hasn't synced that iOS device. Everyone needs to passcode and encrypt your iTunes backups. Plus put a password on your computer accounts. If possible encrypt your full drives. If you've got a Mac running Lion, turn on FileVault!
This is another scaremongering story which fails to point out that if people secure their iOS device with a passcode then it won't be accessible to a thief who does not get the passcode. Setting the simple passcode off allows for complex passwords which makes the data even safer. Yes FB and DropBox should be using the data protection API's but they only provide protection with a passcode too. They're just an extra layer of protection or like a secondary encryption. Users...
Absolutely right and I tried to tell AppleInsider that but they don't listen as much as they used to. The Mac requirements have almost nothing to do with the GPU. ML does not require a heftier GPU. It is purely about the 64-bit kernel. The 64-bit kernel only runs on Macs with EFI64. To find out if you have EFI64 you need to run: ioreg -p IODeviceTree -w0 -l | grep firmware-abi If you don't get EFI64 in the output then you ain't running ML. So yes the MacPro1,1 is EFI32 and...
I hope the change in Phil's title/role indicates that Tim has acknowledged he shouldn't be presenting at keynotes and that Phil was and is the perfect shoe-filler for Steve Jobs in terms of the keynotes.
That depends on 4G being ratified as a specific technology by that time. I don't believe it has yet. If they go down the LTE route it should be the iPhone LTE. It's "LTE Advanced" that is a 4G candidate technology. LTE (non-Advanced) isn't a candidate for being ratified as 4G.
I'm predicting Apple won't use the name iPhone 5 at all now because of the ridiculous rumour mongering this time around. I predict it'll be the iPhone LTE akin to iPhone 3G.
I had a feeling those cases were a Chinese con. Poor suckers who bought those things.
Nah, I'd have to guess you're new to watching Apple this closely. It's always been this way. That's why it's not worth reading into rumours. You'll only end up disappointed. I'm generally disappointed with every keynote and have been for about ten years now. When you're this seasoned, it's sensible to get cynical.
I think you're on to the fact that the slide is probably just a randomly made-up slide and has no bearing in fact. The iPhone 4 (CDMA) was the only iPhone ever to support CDMA. So the fact that they're listing the previous models with CDMA underneath is entirely wrong. Could that also mean they're wrong about the next gen iPhone???