or Connect

Posts by ontheinside

As Apple usually disappoints, it's always best to err on the side of caution. I am placing my bets on an iPhone 4S being the only new iPhone. The redesign won't come until the entire Western world is ready for 4G.
I think you're absolutely right. This article is essentially making this up. The purpose of being able to use fibre optic in many things is about distance/cable length. The throughput will be down to the controller. I doubt these first generation controllers will simply increase the throughput when an optical cable is present. When Intel specified 100Gbps they meant that's its future potential. They didn't mean that right from the beginning that's going to be possible.
It's been practice in the past for the .1 release to be largely bug fixes and limited or no API changes. So it's not necessary for developers to gain early access to it until Apple is changing something major.
The article says the letter refers to the minor release .2. This is not accurate.
10.7.2 is the Product Marketing Version. It's for the consumers. The 11 is the Darwin Kernel version. The letter is a non-public "feature set" or "build train" and is not in any way tied to the dot release of the product marketing version. Why oh why do this people start to define these things when they do not know what they are talking about. There will be stupid people believing that now.
Rosetta isn't emulation and it isn't an environment. lol. It's a system which intercepted PowerPC processor instructions and translated them on-the-fly to Intel instructions.
Apple is a business, not a charity. My statements put financials to the side. It's all about speed. The optical drive is shockingly slow by today's I/O standards. Find a friend with a computer or go to a Microsoft Store to get your USB wiped up.
Um, no. Even MS has had Windows 7 USB install capability since 2009. Who wants to install from DVD anyway??? The DVD needs to die! Why take a car across country when you can take a plane?
Ok who's gonna say it... ooh it looks like it'll be me then... The Mac mini bundled with Snow Leopard Server lacked an optical drive. So that phrase "For the first time ever" needs to go!
There is a 2GB minimum, but my experience with Lion makes me totally agree. 4GB minimum for standard performance. Even with Snow Leopard, if you can go to a maximum of 8GB then do it. RAM has rarely been as cheap as it is now. My MacBook Pro (Early 2011) palpably sped up when I went to the full 8GB. Mac Pro users should try going above 8GB as the kernel starts to scale the maximum limits of things like processes.