or Connect

Posts by d-range

If you go at it with a hacksaw it will shatter, and chips of carbon fiber could end up in your eye and make you blind!!
What I don't understand is what kind of idiot comes up with sad advertising like this. I don't like the Apple maps either, they're not terrible but a definite step back from the Google maps, but seeing crap advertising like this really doesn't make Motorola look anything better to me, in fact, quite the contrary. Apparently all Motorola can think of to promote their own products is a better maps application, a maps application I can still use through maps.google.com, and...
So it turns out that it's increasingly likely Apple will introduce a new CPU, and the new CPU wil be the main shocker in the hardware department, just like I've predicted. I've read endless threads of people speculating how Apple couldn't possibly have the A6 ready for the new iPhone and how they would have to resort to a souped-up version of the same CPU in the 4S, showing how they were 'falling behind' with the specs. It all makes so much sense, the A5 is decidely...
  I'm not sure if you were only referring to bike lanes in New England, but in case you didn't, I can inform you that the world is a whole lot bigger than New England. Having bike lanes and cycle routes in iOS 6 maps would be a huge plus where I'm from, as we have them everywhere you go. You could plan nice scenic bike trips, and almost always there are much shorter (and nicer) routes possible if you use 'hidden' bike lanes through car-free areas. If iOS maps would only...
Maybe work on it started before the iPad was announced, but if I remember correctly, after the iPad was released Samsung decided to postpone launching it because they wanted to redesign it to be more competitive. They even made a statement themselves that the design they had been working on was too thick and heavy. 
If Google would have it their way, investments in technological advancements like this would probably not be possible, since everyone was still using an inferior h.264 knockoff codec because it's supposedly 'more open and free' :-/ I can't wait until this becomes mainstream, with hardware codec support. A good Blu-Ray encode is around 8-10 GB right now, and while I'm not particularly bothered by the file size, the quality of such an encode is decidedly worse than a...
  I'm actually betting on an all-new A6 chip for the iPhone 5, I think it will be the main surprise Apple has for us next month.   The A5 has already been used in the iPhone 4S, and the A5X is basically the same thing with more RAM and a much faster GPU. The iPhone 5 wouldn't benefit nearly as much from doubling the graphics performance because it is rendering less than half the pixels compared to the iPad 3. Most of that power would go to waste. Of course Apple could use...
Makes sense those guys are using OS X. Most of the stuff they are working with is running Linux and/or VxWorks, using X11 for the GUI stuff. Having a full BSD userland, GNU toolchain and X server available on your laptop if you are working on this kind of stuff is a huge benefit. Most unix programs compile and run on OS X without modification, and you don't have to jump through all kinds of hoops to get remote X and a halfway decent shell. Using Linux would probably be...
  I don't think the Mac Mini is dead. It's the only headless Mac Apple sells besides the Mac Pro. The Mac Pro is in a completely different league of computing in every way imaginable: performance, size, and most importantly: price. Not your typical home computer at all. I think the only reason the Mac Mini hasn't been updated for so long is because it didn't really make sense to update it before Ivy Bridge was available, and the MacBook Air and Pro had to be updated...
  You mean you want to Tweet all over her Facebook?