or Connect

Posts by d-range

Serious users will always choose a proper desktop or laptop for content creation. For quick and dirty editing or looking at some boring PowerPoint or Excel sheet, the iPad has everything you need. For video and audio many professional, high-end applications are available. The app store is crammed with apps that let you draw and paint stuff.So, what great new things are you going to create on your Microsoft Surface? You gonna hammer in some code in Visual Studio on that 10"...
  Surely it's not going to be on Samsungs 45 nm process, if not on 28 nm, at the very least it will be 32 nm, the A5 in the latest AppleTV and iPad 2 is already produced using a 32 nm process.   I wouldn't want to have an Intel chip in my next iPhone by the way, Intel is nowhere near the performance per watt that ARM chips get. To me, performance per watt really is the only thing that matters for a phone or tablet.
  Not really, what you are describing is what double-buffering is for. Triple-buffering is adding yet another off-screen backbuffer, to be able to smooth out dips and spikes in rendering time. This way you don't have to drop frames when one or two frames take longer than 1/60th of a second to render. Since you are basically pipelining frames, you are also introducing latency (=lag), because when the content to render changes (e.g. by user interaction), there are still two...
Interestingly, triple buffering actually increases input lag, by one frame (or about 16 ms) to be precise. V-sync doesn't really add any overhead in terms of processing, but it doesn't help a lot to increase rendering performance either. Only if you have a device that is rendering at over 60 fps right now, but with major spikes and dips in the framerate, syncing at 60 fps may improve perceived smoothness of animations. If you have a device that renders very close to 60 fps...
    I have no idea, all I know is that the iPhone 4 is only about 1.5 years old.
You have a 2.5 year old iPhone 4?
When I ordered mine a few weeks ago, the shipping times were 1-2 weeks. I ordered it on friday night, and the iPad arrived the next tuesday...
As opposed to about anything else, including the many Java spin-offs that use just the JVM and get rid of the rest of the language so they don't have to deal with all the bone-headed things about Java. You don't think these exist for the sole reason that so many people hate everything about Java except the JVM (which is, in fact, pretty decent)?But hey, if you like writing lots of boilerplate code, hate closures or first-class lambda functions, love to deal with the...
Maybe you should educate yourself about Java a little more before you make statements like that, because the piece you quoted in your reply is full of factual errors.That said, I know a fair bit of Java myself, having written somewhere in the neighbourhood of some 300K lines of Java code (rough guesstimate) spread over different projects and problem domains, over a timeframe of about 15 years, and I absolutely ff-ing hate it. It's probably one of the worst programming...
While technically correct, almost all Java runtimes that you will find on desktop systems are built off the exact same source code as the official Oracle runtime. They open-sourced it about 5 years ago, and anyone can build their own JRE and JDK as long as you are abide by the license terms. OpenJDK (which is the de facto standard JDK you'll find on open-source operating systems) is now even officially the reference implementation of the language and SDK.Seeing that the...