or Connect

Posts by d-range

I get it, put it that way it's a good point. But as you say, candidates to fill the gaps missing between DirectX and OpenGL do exist. First thing that comes to mind is SDL, which has already proven to be very capable, many Linux ports (and possibly also OS X ports) of triple-A Windows games use it. It basically adds input, sound and video API's to OpenGL, and works on about any platform you can imagine.
You would assume that if Apple was to team up with Valve in any kind of way, to create some kind of non-mobile gaming platform, they would make sure both the hardware and the software side will be covered. Macs have never been a good choice for gaming, for the simple fact that they have always been designed with other desirable properties in mind. Small, silent, beautiful. Just because it has always been like this, it doesn't mean Apple could not build something that could...
OpenGL can already rival DirectX, especially if you have full control over the hardware specifications. In terms of capabilities, OpenGL + vendor extensions = just as powerful as DirectX. Did you know the PS3 runs OpenGL?
Could it be that Valve is looking at Apple as a partner for their SteamBox hardware? That would be freaking amazing, an Apple-built box with first-class support from Valve and Steam. It could actually get me interested in PC-gaming again, after years of just consoles. I gave up on PC gaming because I got fed up of building and upgrading my ugly big PC towers, that almost continually seemed to lag behind what the games required. That, and the awful experience of having to...
Wow thanks for the magnificent insight . I almost forgot Apple has a track record and years of experience successfully revolutionizing the way computer programs are developed. I mean, things like Cocoa, Objective-C and XCode were really nothing ever seen before in the history of computers, if only because of all the fairy dust and unicorns they used to create them
Everyone who ever used the words 'iPad killer' now quietly pretends they forgot about, just like they forgot about "it's just a big iPod touch", "it is named like a sanitary product", "it doesn't have Flash", or "it is way overpriced". There's still some people left complaining about lack of ports, and walled gardens and such, but for the most part, the haters have ran out of arguments.
Ah, Google is now officially lowering their standards for Android. Took a while, but I can't say I didn't see that coming. They should buy Acer to build the things for them, they have years of experience going bust trying to make crappy cheap products.
If keynote was marketed as making it easier to streamline your logistics, sell more widgets, or helping you find a cure for cancer, just because you can make nice presentations about these topics, yes, I would dismiss it as I dismiss any tool that promises to bring software development to the masses, without requiring you to actually learn how to program stuff. Just like keynote does not help you to produce better content, a programming language or Application Inventor or...
Disregarding the fact that over the years I've seen attempt after attempt fail at achieving anything more than glorified storyboarding, or the insight I got from doing software development on a daily basis, that 90% of the work involved with creating good software requires application of abstract logic that requires a language of expression that is orthogonal to visually arranging and connecting some prefab components, yes, you could say that I'm taking the time to express...
Right. So if I understand correctly you are basically saying the abominations people who know nothing about web technology create, serve as a good example why creating iOS applications should be as simple as dicking around in FrontPage pretending you know how to build a good website?With statements like this you'll be sure to trigger the web developer snobs and the web designer snobs as well, just like the professional programmer snobs posting in this topic. They're all...