or Connect

Posts by d-range

Just put lots of RAM and an SSD in RAM iMac and it will fly as a developer workstation, to the point you will have a very hard time noticing any difference with a 12 core Mac Pro. I did it a few weeks ago with my 2010 quad core i7 iMac, and I can only say the machine feels like something completely different for devlopment work. Compilation, debugging, starting the iOS simulator, it's all near instantaneous. Hardly surprising if you think about it, since almost all typical...
Why? Maybe I'm just oblivious, but I can't think of a single reason why Apple would want to buy Twitter. Last time I checked Apple was a hardware/software company, not an ad-company, and not into user tracking and profiling. They'd better not try to become one either because if that happens, I'm out.Yes, someone probably will buy Twitter eventually. Facebook would probably love to have it. Microsoft could be another candidate, for the simple fact they don't want anyone...
Strange to see so much negativity about HTC here, of all the Android manufacturers they were one of very few that actually tried to make more of their phones than just the generic crap that most of the others sell, or the iPhone clone business that Samsung runs. HTC had some very nice designs, usually good hardware, and their Sense skin was actually pretty tolerable and not a complete rip-off of something else. For example the Legend was actually a very nice phone, one of...
That's just... Bizarre... Sometimes I just don't get the US and how they think about taxes. If you are filthy rich you can get a pass and pay little or no taxes, but if you are poor, you have to cough up double or triple the percentage Then again, by US standards I would probably almost be communist so maybe that's why I just don't get it. Anyway, I have a lot of respect for Apple because of their great products, but stuff like this doesn't help. $100 bln in the...
Somewhere earlier in this thread the question was raised if anyone would care about the lack of a discrete GPU, if it turned out the HD 4000 is 'about as good as a mid-range discrete GPU'. Also, the current 15"+ MBP's have a discrete GPU, and the 13" models used to have one before the current generation. So I think it's a perfectly valid discussion to compare IGP's to discrete GPU's when talking about what Apple should use in the MBP's. Another thing to keep in mind when...
I assume what he meant to say is that since the HD 4000 is released well after the AMD 7000 series, yet won't even come remotely close to even the AMD GPU's released well before the 7000 series, all while AMD is has already been working on their 8000 series for some time, which more or less proves the point that Intel graphics suck. As they have always done, except for the few times they licensed PowerVR designs and rebranded them as Intel graphics.Don't get me wrong, I'm...
It won't, no need to hypothesize about it. HD4000 will be a lot better than anything Intel had before, but it will not even come close to the discrete GPU's in the current MBP's, let alone anything better released after that. For a laptop that can easily set you back $1500, IMO that's unacceptable, even despite everything else that will be great about it.
'New Apple product launch playbook' 1) New product is announced, complies with all the sane/realistic rumors going around about it for the past 6 months, does not comply with any of the crazy/unrealstic ones 2) Tech forums full of people complaining the upgrade is not worth it, and Apple is not innovating, despite rave reviews by everyone who has actually seen/used the product themselves 3) All kinds of supposed design/hardware/usability/product safety/performance issues...
Hard to disagree with any of that, except that (acquired) taste is something much harder (impossible?) to quantify objectively, while with video quality, this is pretty straightforward.
Did you read anything I wrote except my statement iTunes 1080p doesn't come close? I think I've explained at least 3 times that I already see a huge quality difference myself when looking at video that has 3 times the bitrate of iTunes 1080p, and a Blu-Ray source of the same movie. This is not some kind of geek fringe or some argument based on theory, but a real-life example. I also said this is on a pretty average-size TV and audio setup. Saying that for some people 'even...