or Connect

Posts by d-range

Ironically, that seems to be exactly what happened. I'm not joking when I say the lack of native, efficient H264 video in Firefox drove me to use Chrome on Linux, and that I will seriously consider switching back to Firefox when they 'fix' this. All this while Google was supposed to drop H264 from Chrome
By the way, let me make myself clear that I'm primarily happy about this because H264 is simply the superior solution for video here, not because I like to see Google fail at things. Standardizing on H264 benefits everyone, even despite the licensing downsides it has (which are greatly exaggerated most of the time).
Can't say I didn't see this coming from day one, when Google started this idiotic codec war when they announced they would drop H264 in Chrome (which they still haven't done by the way), and pretended using WebM would make anything better for anyone. Back then I was flamed and called a Google hater for it, by some of the 'anything Google does is great' crowd over here. Hopefully Mozilla takes this one step further quickly and also just support H264 through system codecs...
I really hope this is just what the article says it is: a rumor, because if not even the mid-range MBP's have a real GPU, I'll not be buying a MBP at all. I don't want a 17" laptop, I'd very much prefer 13" over 15", and I'm not willing to get stuck with the kind of craptastic GPU's Intel makes, for a laptop I'm planning to use at least 3 years. No matter how many times they say their 'new' GPU architectures will 'double performance' or whatever, they always suck when you...
It really is that bad, I really can't think of a single thing Java does better than any other popular and modern language. Platform independence used to be a big advantage (it was actually the main reason Java was developed originally), but today there are better alternatives that are also platform independent and much nicer to work with for new projects. Legacy software is often the only reason to stick with Java today, which unfortunately is holding back Java's demise,...
We all know this is just all the Apple fanboys pre-ordering this disappointing iPad refresh, right? After they all have one, nobody will buy the wretched things! /s
I wrote a simple iPhone game (it's a port of a DOS classic by the way, it's called Snipes! and you can all go get it if here you're feeling nostalgic ), and even though I considered porting it to Android (well, at least for a few minutes ), I would never ever be able to justify to myself spending time on it. The problem starts with the SDK and dev tools. They are all freely available, but it will take you at least a full day to get them up and running. You need slow,...
Incompatibilities may not be the right word for it, but I couldn't come up with something better. What I meant is that all the alternative Android app stores have a different selection of applications, different payment options and different ways of installing and and updating applications. For many users this is inconvenient, confusing and not user-friendly. This is not even considering how well some of these app stores will be supported by the manufacturer, now and in...
I know that chick from somewhere else
I would appreciate it if you address me in a reply to something I actually posted myself, instead sneaking it into a reply to something someone else posted. This comes off a little under-handed.Apart from that, thanks for the insightful commentary. Do you have anything to add to that, something from which I can deduce which parts of what I wrote I should stop writing, or do you want to keep it at just 'stop with the bs'?