or Connect

Posts by ulfoaf

Apple hardware always strikes people as lightweight. The difference is the system isn't bloated with inefficiency like Windows. The whole concept of treating each user like it is a separate machine is flawed. OS X simply doesn't demand as many resources. I was concerned a bit about a 2.0 ghz alum Macbook with only 2 gb of memory. Ha! It is fantastic! I expect big things with Snow Leopard. Can you believe a company is actually trying to optimize performance? The standard...
You are partially right. College kids are not buying MacBook Pros for $2500. They are buying Macbooks for $1000-$1400 in droves. The Macs are more popular with this age group probably than any others. My daughter came to me after using a crappy Toshiba laptop (that cost $1600 and failed in less than 2 years) and asked to get a Mac. We did. She is happy.
I believe Apple is more like 8% now in new sales and growing. It has a much higher percent of laptops over $1500. They are in a panic mode because they are losing monopoly status and actually have to respond to customers now! This comes from years of being fat lazy hogs who dished out whatever they wanted to give with no concern for customers whatsoever. Did any of us really want to buy a PC with no Windows CD? Did we have a choice? Like the old joke about Windows phone...
What about the Apple III? Quality? LOL. Come on. They ain't perfect, and have put out some bad products. I will gladly pay extra for the lack of headaches with using OS X. No wondering what is going to break and disable the machine when installing the latest updates or antivirus software. Easily sharing a printer even to Windows machines ... seamlessly fitting in in a Windows network ... Besides, I love Unix! I have had a Linux machine for 12 years.
Ballmer is trying to play on some of the "old" Apple attitudes with "I'm not cool enough for Apple." I am a recent, but now hard core, convert to Apple and OS X. I bought a used iMac G3 in October 2006. It was just what I wanted: Unix in a slick, easy to use package! Before OS X came out, I was an Apple hater. It seemed like a smug company, and yes, elitist, who charged way too much. I remember the girl in the Mac ad working away on a Mac saying "I'm sorry, I don't know...
Good one! Blood pressure, my &$$! Plugin device!
Nice sci-fi story. Betcha we don't see this anytime soon.
Those colors look awfully familiar .... does it remind anyone of the default Solaris, maybe? Can't say I am particularly fond of them .... I like the present ones better.
"Resistance is futile" -Bluetooth Borg I agreed with you, until ... If you've ever had a phone allowing you to listen to music wirelessly, you won't want anything else. I bought a Sony Bluetooth Adapter & Jabra BT8010 stereo headset for use with my Iphone 3G, and I love it. I guess I'll use the Sony with the old iPod mini when iPhone 3.0 comes out. And yes, talking on the wireless headset is easier too, even if you do look like you are self important and talking to...
The important thing is a "good guy" found it the exploit and connect with Apple to fix it. OS X is a tougher target than Windows, but it can never be bulletproof. Remember, it is BSD, and it has been the subject of attacks for years. There is a local junior college website that my wife does not get on with Windows, as it has been either attacked or mangled twice. No such issue with Linux or OS X. OpenBSD seems to be the most "Locked Down" form of Unix for personal...