or Connect

Posts by dusk

I don't know what you refer to with SATA controller change. There is always the same 3gb/s sata and only the SSD changes. The one Apple uses is apparently the Toshiba HG2. It does not have a controller that is as fast as Indilinx or the former perfromacne leader Intel nor the currently fastest Sandforce and Micron. It is still not terribly slow like the old jmicron controller drives. Power draw is very good and TRIM works also good which is till now useless on...
I doubt pricing is such a big issue. Apple is not really in present in the budget area. AMD is at the moment just no where near intels performance. Maybe those AMD guys only mean that Apple is to adopt more ATI GPUs in the near future. The only thing but that is still at least a year out are AMDs APUs. An APU is the integration of CPU & GPU but on a much tighter level than just by putting a GPU core next to a CPU core. They plan to unite the architecture and harness the...
That is what I asked myself too after seeing this Chipset Diagram yesterday night. They put all the stuff there that is not necessary for optimus but still use the slow Nvidia GPUs. A 5830 has a TDP only 1 W higher than the 330M and has an almost twice as high 3D Mark Vantage Score. A 5650 is less hungry and still faster than a 330M and the way auto switching seems to be implemented they could as easily used the ATI. The only reason I can think of why they would prefer...
I think the difference between 2,4Ghz and 2,66 is definitely not worth it. Core i7 or i5 are a new Nehalem based Architecture from Intel. The C2D in the 13" are still the old architecture that has been here for about 2 years now. Corei iX are significantly faster in situations that benefit from a lot of cores since they have 4 logical cores. This gives you around 20% faster encoding speed. If you do a lot of video work or render stuff the new CPUs might be better for you...
It is true they should put some brain power into figuring out how to make a decent side panel instead of wasting precious horizontal space. In 16:9 that becomes even more ridiculous. But on the other hand on 16:10 the ribbon is still okay especially since it is easy to minimize it and it only shows when you actually need it and many things work with keyboard short cuts and the mouse menu. If you need the ribbon it is definitely better than all the old menus IMO. It makes...
The biggest difference should be in 3D and GPGPU power since the current GPU 9600M GT is really old. The new CPUs are significantly faster if they can utilize there reborn Hyper Threading but some of the performance increase is off set by a slower Memory Controller and lower clock rates. To feel a difference in Performance the rule of thumb is that a new CPU has to be 20% faster. In picture editing the GPGPU power difference really is completely unimportant (you'd have...
Also since the Socket is different you might be able to upgarde a Nehalem later while you will have to buy a new Mac Pro to upgrade the from a C2Q. Difference between Nehalem and C2Quad is quite significant. The Memory Controller is on DIE and a lot faster. It does 8 threads compared to 4 it has an extremely fast but small L2 cache. It is basicly a the cores of the Core 2 Quad built into a CPU design like an AMD Opteron with added Hyperthreading and Turboboost(good...
Come on how is this new. Transflective screens already exist and I think in a Toshiba Notebook they already had them. There is no need to do this weird thing here. They work very well. This is a bogus patent and I doubt it will be approved. The question IMO is what happens when OLEDs finally show up or will they never. Because a Transflective screen probably won't work with an OLED. It is either TFT or OLED.
I also think the iPad argument is wrong. Those two products don't really compete in functionality and with all the attention the iPad gets new MBP can only benefit from it. The rest might be true. Maybe something just gave them difficulties. After all there are some Notebooks out there from Dell(SXPS), Lenovo (TX10) and HP(Envy) that seem to not support the IGP to dedicated GPU switch properly for whatever reason. Only Optimus seems to work without a problem on Windows...
Also what the security concerned shouldn't forget is that no SSL support means you simply can't load SSL encrypted stuff it is not simply dissable and everything suddenly happens unencrypted. The full Opera mobile simply switches off the Turbo and does SSL pages like every other browser. Opera mini apparently simply does not load it at all. The size saving are primarily gained through a rerendering of images in smaller size. Since most webpages are created to be watched...